What's new

Toshiba 50HX70 tweak question for owners (1 Viewer)

Tim P

Auditioning
I'm new to the HDTV large screen(old 28" Goldstar..UGH)and was wondering after reading info at Chris Whites website, have any of you got ideas for "tweaking" this puppy(50HX70).
I was reading on the duvatyne covering, and also the lens hood assembly, and was wondering if any of you have done this for your RPTV(is it even beneficial for this model and type)? I noticed most people on his site had the TW screen tv(40H80 etc). I figured by asking, might save me the hassle of having to remove the screen if I don't have to.
If you have the dimensions for the lens hood I would deeply appreciate if you could forward them to me, and any other helpful info you can pass on about this puppy.
Thanx again for all your help folks and a Happy 4th of July to our southern neighbours :)

Darren Hunt

Agent
I do not have an HDTV, but I do own one of the older Toshiba 56" Widescreen RPTV's. A while back, I accidently scratched my screen (it was the vertical linticular screen that came with the set) and I ordered a diffusion screen as a replacement. As soon as I did this, I had a huge problem with ghosting and quickly did the duvatyne and lens hood solution to fix it. Unfortunately, it did not help me at all and I noticed no difference. I found that with a diffusion screen, you are going to have ghosting no matter what you do. With the old linticular screen, you do not have such a problem as the screen blocks out more light, making the ghosting much, much less noticeable. If your happy with the picture now (as in no ghosting), then the cloth and lensehood will not help much (in my experience). You would be better off getting your set calibrated by an ISF tech, which will give you a better picture, and a lighter wallet :).
If your still curious, here is the webpage that I went to for the lensehood info...
Link Removed
Darren

Paul Walther

Agent
See my "New 55HX70..." post from a few days ago. Jay (who has your model) replied with some good tips for these sets. Yesterday I did the SVM removal, electrical and mechanical focus, then a 64 point service convergence. Settled down that evening after recalibrating with Avia and was delighted by the film-like picture. Have you already done these? If not I'd start there and see what you think afterwards, just BE CAREFUL not to hurt anything inside! I'm not really noticing much of a "stray light" problem that the hood is supposed to reduce. Mostly I just occasionally see the blueish tint on one side, red on the other issue that is common to RPTV's. To fix THAT we'd need to learn the lens striping technique that some ISFers use to diminish side light output of the CRTs. This involves strategically placing strips of tape over a portion of the red and blue lenses, but I've seen no pictures of the process. Have fun and good luck!
P.W.
------------------
DocW

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
What Paul said.
wink.gif

Mostly I just occasionally see the blueish tint on one side, red on the other issue that is common to RPTV's. To fix THAT we'd need to learn the lens striping technique that some ISFers use to diminish side light output of the CRTs.
And it truely works. You can have an absolutely perfect grayscale in the middle of the screen, but it will be wildly different elsewhere. Careful striping trial and error will yield a much more uniform grayscale side-to-side and corner-to-corner. Jeff Kowerchuk has a Toshiba 56H80 and the uniformity from lens striping is amazing. He should actually post the graph.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Tim P

Auditioning
Hi Guys and thanks for the help, my apologizes at posting in the wrong forum, would help to get the right one!
I haven't started to really scope the capabilities yet (work out of town alot)and was just doing some research about getting the maximum out of this baby, so when I finally get a couple of days off and a cold 6'er of brew, I have a pretty good idea what to do and not to do. I'm starting to feel like a bloomin surgeon, and to think I was mostly 2 channel for years, give me back my tube :) ....KIDDING!
I can't wait for my 1st Nascar or Cart race, football, oh baby, to bad the NHL is over with for this season.
Jay, thanks I hear what your saying on the cover, should be simple enough, but I am abit confused on the cover resting across the front part? Sort of like a brim on a baseball cap over the lens? Do you have a pic or drawing of your setup?
I'll check out your topic you posted Paul, thanx.
Thanks again guys!
*cheers*

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Tim
The Keohihdtv site is a great resource for tweakers. Many pictures are available there too ... for things like lens striping.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Tim P

Auditioning
Hi Mike,
I have become a regular at that site, can't say I'm understanding everything I read mind you :) but trying to learn. I was actually going to switch from the 50HX70 to the TW40H80 (to small) and the 56H80 is way out of budget(6500 cdn msrp), not sure what the new 50H80 will cost.
To bad your not a couple of hundred miles north, I could use a guy like you about now :) Know of any good ISF's in Edmonton for Toshiba's by chance? I'm starting to think of getting it professionally tweaked, that way I can stand there and learn without breaking things under the ole trial and error. Don't think I can afford to go OOPS after shelling out for this bad boy! Applying the Duvetyne and lens covers should be simple enough, but this heavy tweaking with lens strips etc etc....DOH!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Too bad you're not a couple of hundred miles north...
Michael has travelled further than that for calibrations! Shoot him an e-mail and maybe you'll be able to work something out (particularly if there are others in Edmonton also interested in the service).
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
In the "shameless plug" department
biggrin.gif
... I pretty much cover all of central to southern alberta as my zone of influence. I was in Spruce Grove last weekend working on a 34" Toshiba set and at Premiere Audio working on their 65" Sony and 56" Toshiba.
If you go to any of the mid to higher end stores from A&B Sound to National A/V to Premiere Audio ... you will see my handiwork and banners.
If you want your unit calibrated ... most weekends are fine with me (when I am around that is). My parents live in Edmonton so I just crash there.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Tim P

Auditioning
Thanks guys!
I got you Jay, I'm going to draw it out for myself, should help. Try a couple of prototypes before the final product.
Mike...HEY BUDDY!!! :) and your drink of choice if I may ask?! Make it a weekend, check out a Stampeder and Eskimo game on the ole tube. What part of town are you from? I'm in the Bonnie DoonCapilano area. Can't say I know other people whose systems are in need of help like moi, but one of these weekends if your up visiting your folks and I'm in town(work out of town)would be grand!
That is SOOOOO great to hear! Edmontonian transplanted in Cowtown?! I hope your an Oiler fan :) At least your lucky and don't have to keep hearing about the wonderful Canada Day celebrations that happened here, butt ugly!
We will DEFINITELY have to talk, I'm not in a hurry at this moment. I was at my Dealer today (Audio 5.1) and got word the "new" 50H80's will be here end of JulyAugust and I'm seriously considering trading up to the TW and in 50", oh yes! (word is around 3800-3900).
I know it will accomodate my Klipsch centre no problem like my 50HX70, big benefit to me due to my situation and system set up.
I will be checking out your stuff, thanks for the info.
Well Gents, I can't say it enough...THANK YOU! This is a great forum with great people. I look forward to this whole new HT bug...OH YES!
*cheers*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks