What's new

Toshiba 50HDX82: The RP82 or the RP91??? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy:

I'm strongly considering the Toshiba 50HDX82 widescreen TV...

1) I have read some conflicting posts regarding whether a progressive scan dvd player will increase picture quality on this Toshiba or not. Will it??

2) If that's the TV I get, would the RP82 or 91 give me the best picture quality? I know the 91 does scaling better, but I'm wondering if the scaling feature is needed with this TV set?

I currently am using the Panasonic RV-30(no progressive scan) for my 27-inch Wega and have been happy with this basic model dvd player.

Replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you-

Dale

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes a progressive scan unit will still give you an improvement over interlaced dvd units. Just not as much as with other sets though. Still worth while.

Scaling in the RP91 is nice to have for the non 16:9 enhanced dvd's. The player does it better than the TV does it.

Regards

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does the RP82 have this scaling feature and do both the RP82 and the RP91 use the same Faroudja video processing?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The 82 does not scale.

The 82 chip is likely more advanced in the video processing though.

Regards

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for replying; I need the help.

Everyone raves about the picture quality delivered by the RP82, but you suggest the 91. The 91 will give me an equally good image on this set then? Thanks-

Dale

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You have to figure out what is more important to you. Scaling?

Image ...? They are close ... just that RP82 is slightly more advanced. Could you tell if they are side by side ... margin ... and likely only on test patterns.

There is another reason that the RP91 sells for more ... better audio section.

Regards

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Just so I understand, what is meant by "scaling?" Does that mean the dvd player scaling a letterboxed dvd to fit the entire screen?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

In simple terms, the DVD player reformates the non 16:9 DVD to make it into 16:9 enhanced.

The TV will just zoom the image in the typical zoom mode.

Image density is retained if the DVD player does it.

Regards

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does this mean, for instance, that I could leave my projector (Sony 11HT) in the Full mode always and just let the RP91 handle the differences between 16x9, non 16x9, and 4x3 DVD's? And, I also assume even though the RP-91 has a slightly less capable video chip, it still will not suffer from the chroma bug?

Users who are viewing this thread