Toshiba 50HDX82 Problem with DVDs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RobSB, Dec 24, 2003.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

I bought a Toshiba 50HDX82 about a year ago. Now I have returned to HTF to ask questions about my surround sound system (on a UPS truck somewhere out there!), and I also have a question about my TV.

When I play DVDs, on solid colors, mostly light solid colors, I get.. lines. Vertical and horizontal lines. Like a very fine coordinate grid I guess. I'm having difficulty describing them.

My DVD player is an old JVC (XV-S40 I think, but don't quote me). It's not progressive scan, but it is hooked up through component. Is this a progressive scan issue? Is there some setting I need to change? Something about 3:2 pulldown or am I on the wrong track? I haven't had a chance to do Avia, but I went through the menu and set everything with my naked eye. Any ideas?

2. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

I have the same set, and I and many other owners of this set see the same issue, which has become known as the "brushed aluminum" effect. Search the Toshiba forum at HomeTheaterSpot.com for many posts on the subject.

3. RobSB

RobSB Agent

This seems to be my problem. How do I fix it? Call Toshiba?

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have the same thing on my 42H82. I run all of my S-video components (DVD, Sat, VCR, PS2) through my AV reciever. If I turn any of those components off and leave the AVR on, it makes the screen blue and thats when the problem is most noticable.