What's new

Toshiba 50H82 or Panny 53WX52 ? (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I got chance to price both of these sets at Sears. I need some feedback on both of these. I've seen the Toshiba at Onecall for $1979, but where can I get an internet price one the Panny 52? Not the 42, because Sears only carries the 52. I have a Panny RP91. I have to make this short because a won't try and get some replies by time I get off work tomorrow. I'll provide more input once I get this thread going. Which one would be a better choice and value?
Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
If you plan on tweaking the TV and/or having it ISF calibrated then I would say Panasonic. If you plan on doing the basic tweaks but that's really it and no calibration, I would say Toshiba.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Good advice Josh. I went with the Panny 53WX42 ($1710 at OneCall) & saved $270 over the Tosh 50H82. The Panny is 3" larger, does native 480p & is $270 cheaper (no brainer for me). The $270 I saved is going toward a full calibration.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Brajesh,
I went with the Panny 53WX42 ($1710 at OneCall).
How'd the shipping $ work out for you. I've been quoted outlandish shipping prices (white glove, though) from Jason at OneCall in the past. Don't know how much of that is due to NJ shipping, but since you're also in NJ,...

Thanks.

Doug

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I was quoted ~$60 for white glove, which I did not opt for. The TV room is on the first floor so there's not much heavy work involved.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find a Panny 53WX52 in the Internet. I wish one call had them. They only list the 42. Sears is going to price match the Toshiba or the 52 if I get find a Internet price. They only have the 52. Yes I will agree with you Brajesh, for $270 cheaper and native 480p...it's hard to pass up. I forgot mention, I have a Polk 400i center channel to support as well.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

I really don't need the 52. And I'm not worried about the sound. I'm just trying to do the price match at Sears. I have a universal screen protector on my 50" projection Toshiba I have now. I will agree that I like it without the glare on the screen. Can't you take them off though?

Does anyone here have the 50H82? I've been hearing about the ghosting problems.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Doug, like Tony said, I got mine for $1710 w/free shipping. I decided to get 'white glove' for $40 -- well worth it (the TV is quite heavy). OneCall told me it'd take 2 weeks for the TV to arrive, but it took about 9 days. Terrific TV! (I'm very happy with it).

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Brajesh, how is the 53wx42 out of the box? Also, how is the multipoint convergence? It'll be about a year before I'm able to get ISF calibration on my set so this is an important factor for me. Avia will be the extent of the adjustments till then.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Besides the screen size, how does the Sony 57HW40 16:9 or 53HS30 4:3 sets compare to the Pannie?

Jerry_S

Auditioning
The only place I found the TV on the net was here, avs-store
I called them and the only way to ship a tv is if you send a money order. I used to work in the small town that this place resides. A little shady.
-Jerry

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Peter, out of the box, I found the picture fairly good (but you can easily see Panny's infamous red-push). I had a Tosh 40X81 before & kept reading how crappy Panny sets look out of the box, but I found my older Tosh & this Panny about the same (maybe this year's Pannys are better in that regard).

So far, I've only used Avia & done the 9-pt convergence. The picture looks quite good to me. I'm fine for now (I'm getting my set fully calibrated in a month or so by Gregg Loewen). You could do the 64-pt convergence & pretty much most tweaks (except greyscale) until you have it calibrated.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Brajesh,
Thanks for the info. I also currently have the Toshiba 40X81 so I can see that you have incredibly good taste when it comes to tvs:) Do you have access to the 64 pt convergence through the regular menu or do you have to get into service mode for that?

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Well let me tell you guys. I finally got my tv. I got the Toshiba 50h82. I'm thinking to my self I think I got a good deal on this set. When I first posted this thread at the beginning of the week I said I wanted to do a price match at Sears. I took a print out from Onecall and Crazyeddie.
Onecall listed the Toshiba for $1979, Crazyeddie for $1878, about a $100 cheaper. I tried to do the Panny first but the sales guys noticed the difference in the model numbers(42/52). I almost had him! I seen on the Spot that one guy got the 52 because Sears thought it was the 42. Oh well. I went to Sears yesterday to bring in all my print outs. Their were only two guys on the floor at the time. One was busy putting together a tv rack. It was empty in there. Just me and the two salesmen. I waited for about ten minutes before the other guy came over to see if I needed any help. I explained to him that I was in here the other day and had spoke to someone about doing a price match. They still had the 50h81 on display, because they were trying to clear them out, and weren't going to putting them on the floor yet. You could get the 50h82, but you have to order it. I showed him my literature. I concentrated on the crazyeddies price. Since I didn't speak with him before so he had to call management to confirm the price match. They gave him the ok over the phone, their wasn't a manager on the floor. I told him that the guy I spoke to the other day was still going to give me the 0% financing for 12 months(Best buy was offering for the week), free shipping(Onecall). He was ringing up the the order. The price came came to $2040 at first. So I told him that crazyeddies price was with tax. He call them. The paper I read "the price for this item includes tax. But who ever he was speaking with said it would be $341 to ship to San Diego. I was pissed at first. So I showed him the print out from Onecall again(free shipping). He didn't know what to do because no one was their to help him. He was trying to get at $1878, because he had to add the tax crazyeddie was out of state. We went back and forth. Finally I was pressing my luck just to see what was going to happen. Here's the funny part. Every time he had to put in a price to match, he had to do the whole transaction over again because those idiots had my old shipping address. He was doing the math on a calculator to get the price at $1880 w/tax. What happen was he finally gave in, because he was being off the price by $20, and $40. He then started to look around for help. I knew I was done then. Just as he said #$!&* it. more employees were walking in(nooooooooooo)! One guy walked over and asked him if he was ok. He said "fine". He hit enter on the computer. The price was $1837. We looked at each other, and he smiled(looking like if I have to do this shit any more). He said what ever, and told me to sign the receipt. Not a word from my mouth. As I was walking away more employees were showing up like they had just came a lunch break. I got the hell out of dodge quick, with no questions asked.

I got home to look at my receipt. Check this out. The total came to $1837, it reads: PVT 50H82 ORDER $1652, SET UP AN CONNECT, DELIVER FEE $55, SUBTOTAL $1702, TAX 135, DELAYED DATE 07/01/03, DELAY REASON PROMOTIONAL, DELAYED TOTAL $1837. All I can say it WOOOW!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not supposed to be. This model is new. He basically gave the tv for $1600 before tax and delivery.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Yup, that's what I plan to do. I did use my sears card. The guy I first talk to on Monday said I would have up until 30 day to find any lower prices I can find. And I could use the 10% off next weekend. I'm just worried that if they realize I got the tv a such a price, they won't let me get the extra 10%. Maybe they be offering a free dvd player between now and then.

Sure enough I will be given you guys my first impressions. It will here on Saturday.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Yup, that's what I plan to do. I did use my sears card. The guy I first talk to on Monday said I would have up until 30 day to find any lower prices I can find. And I could use the 10% off next weekend. I'm just worried that if they realize I got the tv a such a price, they won't let me get the extra 10%. Maybe they be offering a free dvd player between now and then.

Sure enough I will be given you guys my first impressions. It will here on Saturday.

DaveMS

Auditioning
Wow, the avs-store looks like a great place to pricematch

You're right about that, probably the only practical use for that shady looking site. Has anyone had any luck using them as a pricematch? Great prices, and if I lived closer I'd be tempted to do a cash and carry with them, but no way am I sending any money to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks