Toshiba 50H82 help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Just got my 50H82 delivered. Looks pretty good, but not as good as Ive seen on similar sets. Is the Avia disc worth it on this TV?

Also, how do I keep the OAR when watching a dvd? Every mode (full, Theater1, 2, etc..) seems to cut out something. Is FULL right?

Also, is there a setting for progressive scan? Do I need to turn it on or anything on the TV? OR is it just as long as its in the colorstream component ins?

Anything else I should know about this TV?

thanks

2. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen that particular TV but I'd have to say Avia or video essentials is worth it for any TV. I helped my friend calibrate his 20" direct view and it looked 100 times better after everything was done.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You absolutley need to calibrate with Avia for any rear projection TV.

4. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Go with "Full" for all anamorphic discs. Before watching a movie do three things: 1) Make sure your DVD player is set for 16:9. 2) Set for colorstream (with comp. cables) 3) Set picture for "Full". The DVD player needs to be set for progressive scan.

Avia is a great investment.

5. Anthony Moore

6. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Just connect the player to one of the sets of component (colorstream) inputs, the TV can tell whether the signal is prog scan or interlaced. Make sure your player is set to progressive scan, a lot of players default to interlaced.

As mentioned, FULL mode for anamorphic/enhanced for widescreen DVDs. Theaterwide 2 is usually best for non-anamorphic.

BTW, the Miami game looked pretty good in Hi-Def on my Tosh. widescreen (and I say that as a 'Nole, heh-heh-heh).

7. Anthony Moore

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Antony,
    480p - good
    1080i - eye-popping good. [​IMG]
    If you haven't seen 1080i yet, you might want to visit a local store that has hd loops running. Even on a non-calibrated set, 1080i is very very good.
    See it for yourself ... literally. [​IMG]
    r,
    Errol

9. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

1080i is so good, that I find my Denon DVD-3800 disappointing in progressive scan...lol... I can't believe the difference on my 65HDX82. It's like night an day.