What's new

Toshiba 50H82 Color Problem (1 Viewer)

Mike Huber

Agent
Ok i just got my new tv the other day, i have messed with the brightness and other settings to where i want them. I have ALS turned off, DNR on auto, color temp on medium. But for some reason, the tv becomes lighter and darker while im watching tv and dvd's. Its mostly with darker colors its adjusting. This is really anoying and to tell you the truth it looks horrible when it adjusts from darker to brighter. And it doesnt even stay lighter that long it will change and then change back real quick. I though thats what the ALS was for but that feature is off. Any ideas?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The set's black-level retention is not very good. Which means the darks will vary when there is a change in the overall brightness of the picture. Beefy power supplies usually translate into better black-level retention.

Mike Huber

Agent
i have a monster cable 200 dollar surge protector...This is what best buy recommended to me when buying a HDTV...I think its one of the best besides that 300 dollar one. It doesnt seem as bad now but its damn anoying. My sound also seems kinda staticy?? Anything i can do to help that?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
My advice on the sound thing, dont use the TV speakers. If you take the time to pull off the front grill (it is real easy) you will notice the paper speakers that can be had at any Rat Shack for under $

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'm no service tech, but I'd call one in. That color changing thing shouldn't be happening, IMO. This is the first I've heard of it and my set certainly doesn't do this, so I'd say that something's wrong.

Jan

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Turn down your contrast to around a third (for any RPTV). This is desirable anyway to prolong the life of the CRT's. After deriving a contrast setting from AVIA or Video Essentials, you should lower the contrast further somewhat and then finish the tests and calibrations. In addition, the remaining swing between what comes out the brightest and what comes out black will be much less and you may find that the changes in dark subject matter from poor black level retention are no longer objectionable. (Sorry, I can't guarantee the latter.) If you are still dissatisfied, you will have to return the set.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Ok i just got my new tv the other day, i have messed with the brightness and other settings to where i want them. I have ALS turned off, DNR on auto, color temp on medium. But for some reason, the tv becomes lighter and darker while im watching tv and dvd's. Its mostly with darker colors its adjusting. This is really anoying and to tell you the truth it looks horrible when it adjusts from darker to brighter. And it doesnt even stay lighter that long it will change and then change back real quick. I though thats what the ALS was for but that feature is off. Any ideas?
I just bought the same TV as you and I have the same settings but I don't have the brightness change problem as you mention. Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks