Toshiba 50H82 and "movie" setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greggy M, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Greggy M

Greggy M Auditioning

I just bought a Toshiba 50H82 RPTV. When I set the picture to the movie setting when using DVDs, I find the colors to be overly saturated and the picture on the dark side (even when viewing in a darkened room) and generally unacceptable.Reviews of the 57HX81 mentioned that the sharpest, best picture was at the movie setting (which disables SVM - whatever that is)!
    To make the picture acceptable I usually decrease color, sharpness, and contrast to around 30-35 only (0n a 0 - 100 scale), and the brightness to approximately 60. However, changing the individual settings (color, etc) changes the mode to the "preference" setting and out of the movie mode.
    Any thoughts on this? thanks a lot in advance.

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

After you change the settings the initial Movie Mode settings + the changes are stored in Preferences. The Movie Mode is fixed, you can't change that from the user menu.

You're on the right path, use the Movie Mode as a starting point and make adjusments till you have a good picture. FYI, I ended up with contrast 38, brightness 46 & sharpness 25 on my Tosh widescreeen (now 3 yrs. old).

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    This will still have SVM disabled though, right?

4. Greggy M

Greggy M Auditioning

On the movie setting, the SVM is disabled. A review on The Home theater magazine (March 2002, to RPTVs comapared, Tosh ranked no. 2) stated the the reviewers preferred this mode because it gave the sharpest picture. However, as mentiioned, the movie mode is fixed, any changes on the inidividual settings takes the set out of the movie mode into the preferences mode (where the SVM is enabled. So, if you want to have SVM disabled, you have to accept the specific movie mode settings.

5. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

I found the same thing when I first staring watching my 50H82 as well. Give the TV some time to break-in and you will start to see a difference. Now it seems to bright sometimes on the movie setting.

6. Greggy M

Greggy M Auditioning

I hope you're right, because right now this setting is unusable

7. RichardA

RichardA Agent

So what is SVM??

I have to say that I change the lighting depending upon the movie. If there are a lot of dark scenes I have to pump up the brightness. This can make the picture look grainy, but sometimes you have no choice. It does not happen too often but I sometimes I even have to change the lighting half way through a movie. Watching cable is even worse. I also don't like "warm" colors so I don't use the movie setting much. As for sharpness, well if I'm watching a DVD, nothing less than 50 will do.

Cool colors, 50-60 brightness, 50 contrast, 50-60 brightness in a dark (not just darkened room)

Good luck

8. Greggy M

Greggy M Auditioning

Scan-Velocity-Modulation
    From what i've read,and it isnt much, this feature is supposed sharpen the image, but in doing so it results in certain artifacts, such as putting a white edge around objects. Disabling this (which the movie mode does)supposedly results in a better picture overall.

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It doesn't sharpen the image; it increases the scanning rate at the borders of light and dark objects, which is nothing more than a distortion. Unfortunately, most consumers prefer this because it appears to sharpen the picture. But it doesn't.

11. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

SVM info: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/svm.html
    It's a really evil 'feature'.
    IIRC, on the X81 models the SVM is disabled if you modify the custom setting when starting in movie mode, and perhaps even if just the WARM color temp is selected (though Toshibas, in the past, have had a better default greyscale at the medium one, so, go figure...)
    Things certainly may have changed and my set has long had the SVM disabled.
    You can make adjustments to the Movie setting in the service menu by adjusting the value that represents the center position. I have the X81 model so I won't offer any specific advice, but look around on KeohiHdtv and the HTSpot brand specific forum archives and I'm sure there is plenty of relevant info.

12. Greggy M

Greggy M Auditioning

Richard T:
    If I change any setting in the movie mode in my 50H82, the mode automatically changes to the preference mode, so I assume that the movie mode is fixed.
    Bill:
    Hey thanks, your source is a gold mine of info. The permanent fixes (re: disabling SVM)are however, too scary for me to contemplate doing.Thanks again

13. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys

If you start in Movie mode then make a change, the base mode is still movie but it will be shown as preference. This means that SVM is still disabled.

When you calibrate one of the Toshibas an ISF calibrator can perform up to 3 separate gray scales (sports, standard, and movie). SVM would only be disabled in movie, so I for one, mechanically disconnect the SVM wires from each of the 3 gun boards.

Regards

Gregg Loewen