Toshiba 50H81: Will it support a 32 lb. center channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Mar 24, 2002.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Hey - I'm about THIS close to ordering a Toshiba 50H81, but I'm concerned about the weight of my center channel speaker. It's a Polk CS400 and weighs about 32 lbs.

Is this set sturdy enough to support a speaker of this size and weight on it's own, or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Steve,

I've got a 16lb. Infinity center channel on mine, and it's not even close to being too heavy for the top of the cabinet. I would tend to think that you'd be safe setting your's on the Tv as well. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Thanks Gary. I just ordered this set and I want to make sure the weight of my center channel speaker won't cause any bowing or anything.

Anyone else have any experience using heavy center channel speakers with this set?

4. Neal

Neal Auditioning

I was looking at the Samsumg 55" and the framing for the screen is so narrow as are other tv's. I too have a heavy Polk center channel and am puzzled why these tv's are so narrow on top. I will probably get the 53" Pioneer.

5. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Steve, the Toshiba 50H81 that I saw at BestBuy had a pretty flimsy cabinet -- looked like cheap fiberboard. The salesmen said they weren't built as well/sturdy as the others. You may want to add extra support on top...just in case.

6. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I have the 50A61 and I have all my components on the top of it. On the left side I have my Sony Hi8mm VCR, Tosh SD-3750 DVD player and Sony VHS VCR stacked. On the right side I have my Sony DD receiver and my Sony center channel speaker on top of that. I tried to keep the weight as balanced as possible. I do not know if the 50H81 is built as sturdy, but I have no problem with the weight (About 55 lbs balanced left to right) on top of my 50A61.

Roy.

7. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

Steve, my 50H81 was delivered about two weeks ago. I was really impressed with the sturdy construction of the cabinet. My center only weighs around 20 lbs but I wouldn't be afraid to lie across the top of this set myself, though not saying that's a practical test.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Steve, I've got an Infinity IL36c that also weighs in at 32lbs. Before I took it home, I had it on top of a 50HX81 in the store (same cabinet as 50H81) with no trouble at all. It's probably best to check it after a few months though.

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the input. Based on what I've heard, I'm going to try placing my center channel on top of the set, but keep an eye out for any signs of trouble.