What's new

Toshiba 50H81 vs. Mits 46809 (1 Viewer)

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Let me preface this that I am definately in the market for a HDTV now. I think I have it narrowed down to these 2 sets, but I really am not sure. I want to know what you guys think about these two sets.
How many HD inputs, because I will be getting an xbox in November to go along with HD-SAT.
Also which is easier to tweak?
Which has the better picture out of the box?
Which is built better? Long term thoughts.
My room is 11.5 x 13.5, and I don't really have the room for something much larger. Not that I don't want bigger, but this is a compromise until we move in a year to bigger house.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The Toshiba offers the better picture once calibrated. Also even though the Mits can have SVM disabled it still has some sort of electronic edge enhancement that is quite annoying once noticed. The Toshiba should also be less expensive. ( ? )
Dont forget to buy a good DVD player. I suggest the Panny RP91, Toshiba 5109 or the Tosh 6200.
Regards
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward the toshiba, but one of those "salesmen" caught me off gaurd today. So anymore comments? Answers?

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree with your opinion Gregg. In my opinion. the Mits is the the better looking calibrated picture over the Toshiba, although it is a close choice. I have seen both ISF calibrated, and I don't think the Mits can be touched, except by maybe a Pioneer Elite, at a big price difference.
Mitsubishi also are super tweakable, and that how they get to be one of the best looking RPTV's out there. Because of the amount of tweak options and wealth of info on the Mits lines, a lot of ISF techs prefer Mits over most else. Good techs know that they can make them look breath-takingly beautiful.
I am not "downing" Toshibas by any means...I chose Mits over Toshiba, but it was a close call. If you can, check out both calibrated if possible and make your own decision.
Have Fun
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
:)
Ive watched / assisted / performed more than 20 calibrations which included:
Disabling SVM (can not disable other edge enhancement on the Mits)
removal of protective screens
overscan
centering
geometry
convergence
Herman TLV manuevour (can not do on the mits)
grey scale calibration using color analyzer
lense striping
setting up of HD input (capability varies on the Tosh and depends on year model) using the Accupel signal generator.
Once done, final picture quality then depends on ambient light level control, DVD player type, cabling, and lastly movie.
I always notice the mild edge enhancement Mits(which should never be there). Not a big deal to most people. Perhaps Im a bit biased because I own the Tosh. Either way it is close to a coin toss and the Tosh is cheaper :)
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units
[Edited last by Gregg Loewen on September 04, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
The edge enhancement continues to bug me a lot on the Mits because I know where to look for it. And once you know what to look for ... it's pretty much game over.
As well, if you cannot get the black box fix or the attenuators for the Mits ... the end result is once more a problem.
A fully tweaked Mits is a fine looking set and we are all just splitting hairs here. It's like saying that a 97% set far out shines a 95% set when that just isn't the case.
All sets have their own little issues. The EE on the Mits just bugs me a lot.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Brian_J

Second Unit
Is this a known widespread issue or only with certain sets?
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...
[Edited last by Brian_J on September 04, 2001 at 05:39 PM]
[Edited last by Brian_J on October 10, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
It's like saying that a 97% set far out shines a 95% set when that just isn't the case.
That is so true!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Really, it just comes down to personal preference....like most everything HT related!
wink.gif

Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks