What's new

Toshiba 50h81 versus 42h81 (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
After an earlier thread I started here, and a good deal of reading, I was strongly leaning toward the Toshiba 42H81. However, looking around at Sears I see that the 50H81 isn't too much higher of a price for what seems like a good deal more screen real estate.

Are the 50H81 and the 42H81 equivalent in quality and features? Is the 50H81 worth the extra $300-400?

Also, Sears was pushing their 5 year maintenance contract for ~$500. She seemed a bit vague on what specifically is done under this contract. Is it worth considering?

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

My opinion would be to buy as much screen as you can afford. you won't regret it. You won't be sitting on your couch wondering how cool the bigger TV will be.

I speak from experience.

As far as the extended warranty goes, I would pass.

Tosh is a good brand and if anything goes wrong it would more than likely go wrong early within the manufactorers coverage. Put the mony into a good STB.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
If you look around, the price difference will not be that high. At a local futureshop the difference is a mere $100. This is after the price drop of course. The 50H81 went from $3899.99 down to $3199.99 and the 42H81 went from $3199.99 to $3099.99. These are Canadian prices mind you.

Mike Tondreault

Auditioning
I don not know what price point you are looking at but the Tosh 50H81 has dropped to 1999.99 at Best Buy and the warranty is 300.00. I own the set and am extremely happy with it (when it was 2500.00). I bought the waranty for piece of mind. I think the 42H81 is the exact same set smaller. But I don't know the price on it.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Go for the bigger set. I was waffling over the 57" or 50" and went with the 57". It seemed large the FIRST day, and has 'shrunk' considerably already. My wife was intimidated the first night by its size, but has also grown accustomed.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Mike Tondreault,

It's not that price here!

Also, not on the web site.

So, if you can, help! With store number and/or city.

Please. Thanks.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Dave... i was in the same boat as you are, trying to decide betweent the same 2 TVs. I went with the bigger one (50H81). Nothing wrong at all with the smaller set, i just didnt want to spend that much cash, only to want a bigger set later on. If its in your budget, i would surely go with the bigger set. I'm loving mine.:)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
just wondering if you had decided yet on mhich set to go with?
Not yet, Andrew! :) I really appreciate everyone's input, though. We probably won't be buying for a couple weeks yet, and would like to do some more price comparing, etc. However, it certainly seems like it would be worth the upgrade for no more price difference than there is.

Hey all!
Im with James from NY, my wife and I looked at the 50H81 for about a month and then 2 days before we went to buy decided that the 57" would be a better deal in the long run and it was only a diff of like $300! Ditto on everything James said in his post.
Now I need to find me a STB!!! I'm sad that I can't watch the Final Four in HD. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks