Toshiba 50H81 Sharpness-What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Jun 23, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

First, I'd like to thank all of you on HTF for all the help you've given me thusfar the past months in the decision-making process (and WHAT decisions that were made!) in building my hometheater.
    I've ended up with:
    Onkyo TX-SR600 Receiver
    JBL NSP1
    JBL PB12 Subwoofer
    Panasonic RP56 DVD Player
    and - just delivered Fri. morning--> Toshiba 50H81
    Widescreen Television.
    Now comes the follow-up questions[​IMG]
    While piecing all this together (6 mo. in the making), I was able to get a copy of Video Essentials that Suncoast Video had. I'm reasonably happy w/the calibration of the speakers, but I have some issues with the Toshiba. I understand about the break-in period, but I attempted to calibrate the set and here is what I show ..
    Contrast 30
    Bright 48
    Color 38
    Tint 0
    Sharpness 10
    Does this sound reasonable? I know that every set is different, but get me in the ballpark please [​IMG] The picture is good, but just not as sharp(?)as I'm used to w/my 27"Sony. I did notice one thing. I'm currently watching T2:UE, and while the image looks fairly decent while watching from 9' away directly in front of it, when sitting in my recliner to the left of the sofa at about a 30 deg. angle, it looks FANTASTIC--FILM-LIKE! What needs to happen? I do need to say that there is plenty of glare while directly in front of the set that comes from a window behind the sofa. My wife will have to get new, darker curtains to cut the glare from that screen [​IMG]
    One more thing for now-could someone tell me for sure when to do the 56 pt. convergence on the set? Post a link showing how? I'm a little scared to do it, but I'll work up the courage:b
    Sorry for the length of this post and so many questions, but now the fun begins!!
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I calibrated with Avia and ended up with the following settings on the 50H81:

Contrast: 40
    Brightness: 60
    Color: 59
    Tint: -9
    Sharpness: 23

Your setting don't sound too far off from mine. All sets are a little different.

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

The glare you're experiencing seated in the center position is the most likely answer. Try cranking the contrast up to around 40 just to see what it looks like. I have a good bit of light in my room in the daytime and ended up with contrast set at 38.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Thanks all!

I've been out of town the past week and haven't been able to check the board. Your responses are greatly appreciated!