Toshiba 50H81 or Sony KP51H40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Bur, May 26, 2002.

1. Tom_Bur

Tom_Bur Auditioning

I got sears to price match my choice of these sets for $2025.00 minus 10% off comes out to approx. $1800.00. I'm just a little weary of the ghosting and rastering problems with the toshiba, but also not sure if the sony picture quality is up to par.We watch 60% DirecTV and 40% DVD. Need all the opinions I can get.[​IMG]

2. Tom_Bur

Tom_Bur Auditioning

Corection SonyKP51HW40

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

According to Michael TLV, the Tosh's upconversion of 480p to 540p loses significant resolution. The upcoming HX82 models will display 480p natively as will the current Sony HW40 sets.

In actual use, lots of people don't notice this, so whether or not it's an issue to be concerned about is debatable.

My KP57HW40 looked very good indeed after AVIA calibration, and even better after a couple of easy tweaks in the service menu to tone down or eliminate SVM in the various picture modes and correct the minor red push it had as delivered.

As far as overall picture quality, I think the Sony is at least as good as the Toshiba, if not better. Mine has been totally glitch free in the 7 months I've had it, seems to improve with age.

The DRC (line doubling) in previous generation Sonys was way too soft for my liking, but this one is much improved.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either set, but Sony seems to have better quality control and better out of the box performance and consistency.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I don't know about the Sony, but the Toshiba handles analog sources very well - and also has excellent stretch modes for 4:3 material. Standard cable looks very good on my 50H81, believe it or not.

This is an important factor to consider, since you'll likely be using the set for more than HDTV and DVD viewing. Of course, DVDs look great on the 50H81 too.

5. John_V

John_V Agent

Tom_Bur,

I am also considering the Sony KP51HW40. Was just wondering how you got Sears to offer you such a great deal?! If you don't mind my asking, where did the 10% off & price match come from?

6. Tom_Bur

Tom_Bur Auditioning

John_V
    I did a search on Yahoo just typed in Toshiba50H81 and found the best price I could.Keep in mind sears will only match cost of unit plus shipping charges from the online vendor. So I found one vendor I think it was comtrade or something sorry I threw away the printout I had,but anyway they offerd the Toshiba50H81 for 2025.00 with free shipping. Then I recieved an aditional 10% off for using my sears card. It got interesting when the sales guy said he would give me the same deal on the sony because there retail price at the time was within $20.00. So now it's decision time.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I honestly think you'd be quite happy with either set. My original choice was between the Toshiba and Hitachi, chose the Hitachi and hated it so much I decided to return it. They had just set up the HW40 Sony when I went in to arrange the return and I decided to give the Sony a chance. Within 20 minutes of delivery I knew I had a keeper. I could very easily have felt the same way about the Toshiba.

Played with both in the stores a lot, and would rate them about equal as far as ntsc handling and stretch modes.

The Tosh will let you save separate settings for each input, Sony won't. But Tosh will only let you save one set of user adjustments per input. The Sony will let you save 4 sets of adjustments, which I find more useful even if they are not input specific. Makes it very easy to compensate for daytime vs nightime veiwing.

Sony's menu comes up instantly and is easy to navigate. When you press the menu button on a Toshiba you have to wait while the menu scrolls it's way leisurely down from the top edge of the screen. This is a minor thing but bugged me a bit, your results may vary.

If you look around over at the Tosh and Sony sections over at Home Theater Spot you'll get a good idea of the good and bad points of both sets. Also check out the Sony and Tosh tweaks section over there to get an idea of how much tweaking most folks seem to find necessary and how easy or hard it is to do.

You won't go wrong with either one, and should feel safe choosing on the basis of features or your own preferences as far as user interface and such.

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Tom & John -
    Try http://www.continentaltrade.com - I just happened to have that page bookmarked and am thinking about doing the same as you, Tom. [​IMG] Although it's been a while since I used it, I didn't remember that you get 10% off for using your Sears card. I've got that low interest card from Sears. Do you know if they would honor that with my card?
    Thanks [​IMG]