Toshiba 50H12 (82) took it back!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Krasnow, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Steve Krasnow

Steve Krasnow Auditioning

First I must say that after giving this Toshiba so much praise I'm slightly embarrassed to say I had a problem with the set.

Over three weeks passed with no problems with the 50H12 that I bought at Costco. I started noticing a red shading on the right side, top to bottom of the screen. I thought about having someone look at this set but in my area I doubt it would have been anyone with much experience working on HD RPTV's. I ran the Avia disk and set the convergence twice but still red on the right side.

So I took it back yesterday to Costco, got my cash back. I went to a home theater design store and took another good look at a Mitsubishi 55411. After about an hour checking this set out I went for it. Delivery on Wednesday. I really wanted to go with the Mits in the first place but was so impressed with the Toshiba and saving a few hundred bucks!

When I dropped off that Toshiba it felt like I was leaving a good friend! I really liked that set....just can't put up with the red, not for $2k.

Steve

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

3. Steve Krasnow

Steve Krasnow Auditioning

Dean

I read your thread concerning the problem with your 50H82 a few days ago. I hope you can find the problem! Let a tech look at the set for sure. Really it seems like only an adjustment problem. I just was not willing to go down that road and Costco gives me no problems when returning something.

I actually have two other people in my family that are about to purchase 50H82's. They want my advice on what to do. I told them about the many people that love this set and really that I believe my problem and yours is just and adjustment issue.

Steve

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Steve,
    RPTVs of all makes are subject to this kind of red shift. It has to do with the red projection lens being closer to the right, the blue lens closer to the left. The only adjustment I know of is "colorstriping" and I'm kind of unclear, yet, as to exactly what this is and how it's done.
    Here's a link I've found about it, but the details remain sketchy: Colorstriping
    Cheers,
    Jan

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I think Mits is known for its extreme red push...good luck with it though.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

6. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

my 42h82 has the same red shading on both sides, but i can only see it when the image goes completely black during a movie or tv broadcast.
    set convergance, calibrated with avia, moved speakers away, all with no luck or help.

7. Tom Milner

Tom Milner Auditioning

I have experienced the same thing primarily on the right side of the screen. I moved my receiver and dvd player, which were up next to the screen, six inches to the right. I watched a few things last night and didn't notice the red on the edges once, even though I was looking for it. This is not conclusive, I will continue testing, but it may be the proximity of electronic equipment. Even with this worry, the picture is fantastic.[​IMG]