Toshiba 4960/Samsung 841 BM Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MartyP, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MartyP

MartyP Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me if these players have bass management for DVD-A & SACD? Is it 100 Hz? How about CD? Any info would be appreciated...

2. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I came across this thread while searching for the exact same question. Does anyone know the answer???

3. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I haven't been able to find the answer either, but from what I can tell the BM is pretty useless anyways, so it doesn't really matter. I've got a 941, but I assume the BM is the same on the 841/850/950 as well.
    First it seems that the BM has no effect at all on DVD-A 2.0 tracks.
    Next it seems that on DVD-A 5.1 tracks the redirected bass seems 20dB too low. And as best I can tell the decoded LFE track is 10dB too low as well (which seems to be a common problem in DVD-A BM), but that's harder to be sure of.
    Oh, and of course there's no time alignment (TA) at all.
    My solution so far is to mostly use the stereo tracks, and the digital connection, so my receiver will decode the 48Khz/24bit signal, and apply correct BM and TA. If I feel like going surround, I have the 941 set to all-large speakers, and just live with the lack of BM/TA and low LFE channel. It's a livable compromise. Only improvement you can make (other than getting a better player) is to use an Outlaw ICBM, but even that doesn't do TA, so it's still not perfect.

Oh, and I haven't even tried SACD's on it yet, but I'm going to guess there's no BM on SACD's at all.

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave