Toshiba 4800 owners questions....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Aug 11, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I have the SD 2109 model and am considering upgrading to the 4800 for the DVD Audio. I have a few questions particularily to those of you who previously owned Toshiba units. Can you please answer the following:

How is the picture quality compared to previous Toshiba units (colors, saturation, skin tones, resolution, flickering, etc)

How is the anamorphic downconversion letterboxing capabilities?

Can you tell any improvement in audio (CD playback, PCM, DD and DTS, digital and analog outputs)?

How do you work the jpeg viewer if you have a disc of burned jpegs?

How's the DVD Audio playback?

Has Toshiba changed it's remote codes(Wondering if still compatilbe with my Home Theater Master SL-8000).

For any of the questions you all can answer or input given i really will appreciate. Feel free to compare and contrast with any other models you feel are comparative to it!

David

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Hi David,

I recently replaced my Toshiba 5109 with a 4800. I haven't used DVD Audio yet, and I have it hooked to a TW40X81 so I can't comment on its anamorphic downconversion. I also haven't used the JPEG viewer.

I can say this...picture qualiy of the 4800 (progressive mode) is a significant improvement over the 5109. Audio quality, might be slightly better in movies but I haven't listened to any audio CDs yet. Finally, I have a Home Theater Master MX-500 and I didn't have the change the remote from the 5109. It is using the exact same codes.

-Keith

3. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a 4800 about a week ago. I had to return it due to severe picture quality issues. There was severe pixelation in areas that had a lot of red. I havent found anyone else with this problem however.

4. Steve Gingras

Well...I purchased the 3800 to replace my two year old (interlaced) Toshiba 1600 and these are my initial impressions:

- No picture quality difference at all...at least none that I can detect. Yes, I have a digital TV (Sony widescreen HDTV), I have the player set for progressive, and the TV is sensing the progressive signal. I suppose that I should mention that the 1600 looked fantastic on this unit. I guess that is a strong statement for the Sony's video processing ability...it has 3:2 pulldown and the works. Probably didn't need to go progressive...but I figured what the heck..and besides, I want to play MP3s, which brings me to...

- MP3 player is a lame. It sounds good, but is very sensitive to the media. Disks that played fine on various computers played on the unit, but with considerable problems (e.g., random distortion and squeals). I did, however, solve the problem by recopying the MP3s to a different disk. The MP3 player also doesn't display ID information and is limited to 8 character filenames. It also does not display folders or allow you to set up playlists. You either play them all in order (8 character alphabetical order) or in random mode. You also cannot pause or fast forward during playback. You can hit stop, but then you must resume at the beginning of the track. The unit also only displays the track number on the unit's display - no track name...not even the 8 character name.

- Remaining time is no longer available. Toshiba added dozens of bells and whistles to this model beyond what my old 1600 had, but they dropped this very basic feature. I really enjoyed checking to see how much time remained before the end of the DVD. Can't believe others don't find this feature useful as well. Did we really need to lose this feature to have a "virtual screen remote control" and a "screen grab capability" for custom backdrops?

- Remote is very functional. 4800 features a universal remote, but the 3800s remote is still nice. Oh well, it goes in the bin with all the others anyway since I use a Sony AVS3000 universal. ;-)

- No discrete power on/off. Can't believe that manufacturers aren't making these features standard for use in macros. No biggie though, since you can fake discrete power keys for most DVD players using the play-stop trick.

- Very good looking unit. I hate silver components, but I make an exception for this one. It looks very sharp. The 4800 looks cheap in comparison. Yes, very subjective and not very important, but we all know it's a issue.

Can't say much else. As I said, I have a great TV so the video doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I'm not going to rent Toy Story and look at a menu to convince myself there is or isn't a problem. Guess I'm not a true video geek. :)

That said, I may take this unit back. I am not at all happy with the MP3 features. I hear great things about the Sony 715p so I'm going to pick one up and check out it's video quality. Very interested to know if anyone has played with this unit besides the Chroma Bug Panny guy.

Cheers,
    Steve

5. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba just doesn't seem to believe in discrete on/off. It's weird.

As far as I'm concerned, every component should have both discrete on/off and a toggle on/off. I mean, why not?

6. Steve Gingras

Yes, very much agree. I suppose they don't add them to avoid confusing Harry Homeowner, but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to satisfy both the broad consumer market and picky geeks like me. :)

cheers,
    Steve

7. John Doroshenk

Any other 4800 owners, I had one unit that broke on me after a couple of days, while using it I noticed some movies had the menus messed up. The roll over effect wouldn't line up right, returned it got a new one, works better, but some movies still have the menu bug i saw with the first one, anyone else have this. If you have the 4800 go to AVIA and look at the menu for all the calibration tests, sounds on the left, images on the right. Both 4800's couldn't output this menu correctly for me. I've noticed other menus off, but this is the only one I remember distincly. Someone let me know thanks.

8. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

That Avia menu looks fine from my 4800 on my new Toshiba 42H81. I have not used Avia before and put it in for the first time and went to that menu. It showed up fine in Normal (postage stamp) and Widescreen Mode 1 (stretched).

PS. I am guessing there is a setting in Avia where you tell it whether your TV is 16:9 or 4:3. True?? Or did I get the wrong version?