What's new

Toshiba 4800 DVD player question (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Just picked up the new Toshiba 4800 DVD video/audio player. Knocked my socks off. I've been listening to my DVD A discs on a pioneer DVD video only player until now. Could not believe the difference. One question though. This player seems to have all the bells and whistles, but on my old Pioneer I was able to hit a button and the display would tell me how much time had played on my vieo disk, and also how much time WAS LEFT to play. I'm wondering if there is a similar way I can get this info. on the Toshiba 4800?

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Hi Doug,
I've been reading up on Toshiba 4800 posts as I'm thinking about buying one as well. From what I understand there is no way to see the time remaining on disc, which is something I would miss as well.

I'm using a Pioneer 440 currently so I'd love your perspective on how the Toshiba interface compares to the Pioneer. Some of the overlooked things about the Pioneer that I've liked are how quick the disk and menus load, as well as the intuitive remote. If you have any thoughts on how the two compare, apart from DVDA quality, I would really appreciate them. Thanks

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Probably the main difference between the two makes is the new automatic features that come with the Toshiba. Eg. the machine is intuitive in that it will recognize whether or not the disc put in it is DVD A or DVD V. This is apparently an improvement over the 4700 model, where the user would have to literally shut down the player and reconfigure. Also the Pioneer makes you go through a rather lengthy setup procedure; wheras with this new Toshiba the setup is fairly straight forward even though there are a great many more bells and whistles than with the Pioneer. Eg. there is a menu that will capture a frame from a DVD and use it as a screen saver, a zoom feature which is very easy to use, etc. The picture quality (I have a big screen, but not HDTV) is about the same.

DanaA

Screenwriter
If it's like the 4700, you can easily estimate the remaining time on a disc. While the DVD is playing, press the V-remote button. That will bring up how long the movie has played in the OSD. Use the direction arrows to move the cursor (or whatever it's called) all the way up and to the right to the position where the time elapsed information is. The time elapsed will now go blank, but at the bottom of the screen will be the total running time. Thus, if the time elapsed is 45 minutes, and the total running time is 2:04, you know the time left is 1:19.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks