What's new

Toshiba 4700 (1 Viewer)

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Does the zoom pull back and window box movies like some of the cheaper Tosh dvd players? Can you still stay in FULL anamorphic mode this way? Was wondering since I know you get a little more info windowboxing movies like Apocalypse Now, that aren't in the 2.35 ratio.

PaulKH

Second Unit
I have a 4700 and don't fully understand your question. How would I test for this!? I don't have Apocalypse Now on DVD.

If I 'reduce' any anamorphic image I may see some more of the edge material because the area usually in overscan of the TV is brought into view.

Is that what you mean?

By the way, the quality of the zoom function is EXCELLENT.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Well I tested this, and sure enough, I can see a LOT more of an anamorphic movie if I reduce it in - quite interesting. Of course since the reduction is symmetrical the black bars at top get bigger.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Can someone explain what this means? Is this for viewing on a 4:3 tv with the player set to 16:9? I'm confused. =)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Jeff, a DVD image usually extends beyond the normally visible area on a TV, into what is called the overscan area. With a DVD player that can 'shrink' the picture, you can then see the portion of the image that is usually off the edge of your TV.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Just tried it... very interesting. Thanks! Cool feature, if you could only set it and forget it. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks