Toshiba 4700 vs 5700 ( what is the difference)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Crigna, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

Other than the 5700 has hdcd decoding and picture capture are there any other differences in performance or features? Which would you recommend? Thanks for any info.[​IMG]

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I don't believe there's any differences other than HDCD and a silver case.

3. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

Is HDCD decoding "High Definition CD"? Wouldn't this be a good thing to have if you have a HDTV system?

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I don't think HDCD has anything to do with HDTV. I have seen some CDs with HDCD designation, but am not sure what it means.

5. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

HDCD is just as it sounds. It is another way of improving CD sound.(for a format that was supposed to be "perfect", there sure have been a lot of improvements on it over the years)

Unlike other formats, (Sony's SBM, JVC's 20bit K2 Super Coding, etc.), your player has to have a decoder built in.

It is probably worth having if you are going to use your DVD player for listening to CD's as well as as DVD's. Otherwise don't pay the extra money.

Larry.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

But we've now got *3* audio formats better than a regular CD - HDCD (2 channel 20 bit?), SACD (4 channel??), and DVD-Audio (5.1 channels, very high sampling rates). This is a technology awaiting a shake out...

I believe there's very few titles in any of these new formats.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    you likely own some HDCDs and dont even know it. they dont categorize them differently in record stores like they do DVD-A and SACD.

the Burr Brown processors in the 5700 will revel more detail on these HDCDs and will even improve sound quality on normal CDs too! HDCD is not a format competing to be a standard right now; to my understanding, it was introduced as a sort of 'bonus' that not many people took advantage of and never really caught on.

btw- i dont think SACD is 4-channel. it's 2-channel, 2.1-channel, and/or 5.1-channel. many discs give you the option of which to playback.

8. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys. Just want to clear up one thing. The 5700 uses the burr brown dacs and the 4700 uses which dacs?

9. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

It is important to note that HDCD (High Definition Compatible Digital) is NOT 20 bit. It is, in fact, the exact same format as standard CD. This allows all HDCDs to be compatible with standard (non-HDCD) players.

The "decoding" of HDCD discs actually occurs in the digital filters of the player (they do not require special D/A converters since they are adhere to the redbook standard in that respect). Special digital filters aim to raise the bar of performance to 20 bit levels, but it is still a 16 bit format.

One of the reasons the HDCD filters are chosen over other filters is not necessarily because of the HDCD aspect - but simply because they are superior filters for standard CD as well. HDCD compatibility almost comes by way of a bonus.

----

Jeff