What's new

Toshiba 4700 mp3 problems... (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a Tosh 4700 and went through the many different problems discs I have.
Although it played the DVD-R I had created well except to get the PCM audio I had to select PCM audio output. This seemed strange to me because mp3's play in bitstream mode, why not this DVD-R? This may be something I did, but the RP-56 plays it correctly.
What I've noticed is the audio seems to fade in and out on each channel. There is not good audio reproduction. There are even some tracks that just output the awful screaching undecoded data. My girlfriend freaked out when this happened the first time.
VBR joined and not-joined mp3's seem to play the same with the fade in/out problem.
I know the MP3 problems I am experiencing may be due to the recording process. I'll try some other burns on Monday at work.
Has anyone else experienced any problems with mp3s?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Tor,
I'll try to see if that helps, I've been buring juliet, just much more convient. I'm also going to try burning at 1x speed.

jacek p

Agent
Hi Jeff,
I just bought 3750, in many ways similar to yours. One of the reasons to purchase this one was MP3 playback. Mine does not play juliet at all. I made an ISO disk to discover only 8 character file name and the same screeching noise in 3 of 121 files I played. Very annoying. Directories are supported by 3750 though.
Anybody else with these problems?
------------------
jacek

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
jacek, the 3 files with the screeching was that on the iso9660 disc? You couldn't get any joliet discs to play at all? They worked somewhat for me when burnt at 8x speed.
I guess the media, burn method and other factors are very important to this player.
[Edited last by Jeff D on November 12, 2001 at 02:02 PM]

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I can only get mp3's to play in analog mode through the 6 channel input i use for dvd-audio. I have the 4700 by the way. This is annoying because i can't use my subs and can only listen in 2channel mode. I had the Panasonic rp56 and it let you play the mp3's through the digital connection. Does anyone know if this is the only way to play mp3's on this unit?
[Edited last by Dalton on November 12, 2001 at 02:52 PM]

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Dalton, I was playing mp3's via the bitstream tos-link connection. It worked, but sounded crappy. (I've burnt another disc 1x speed iso-9660 and I'll test it tonight)
I find it odd, that the DVD-R I burnt only would play audio out 6 channel or PCM modes. Sound similar to your problem. Does PCM work for you at all?
I called Toshiba today and told them about my problems. But I don't know what good that will do...

Josef_K

Agent
i was thinking about buying this player.
not somuch for the MP3 support
another then the problems you are having, is it a nice player?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jeff,
My unit plays pcm okay. I am surprised you got the mp3's playing through your digital connection. I couldn't get anything out of it. Never had a problem with the rp56.
Josef,
Picture quality is good but i have had 1 audio dropout. It was on Jurassic Park DTS. I changed from toslink to coax digital and played the same scene with no dropout. I am still not sure if it was the toslink cable though. I have noticed the chroma bug on this player also but it is not that bad. I have about 3 more weeks to decide if i want this player. I do like the fact that it has DVD-Audio for the same price as the rp56 but i thought the 56 put out a better picture. Still not sure what i am going to do. I think maybe i am getting a little too picky. I have demoed 4 different progressive scan players in the last 2 months. The search continues....
[Edited last by Dalton on November 12, 2001 at 07:42 PM]

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Dalton, I'm in the same boat as you, 56 or 4700... decide... the 56 has some problems too. I might just return both and wait for the next round of players.
Josef, the picture for me in pretty good. I have not noticed the chroma bug, it very well might exist. I've been checking the audio more. The player shows no evidence of the flicker bug on progressive output. It does however, show up on the interlaced mode. I find this very strange because I've never seen flicker on any other interlaced players.
The mp3's play bad in both VBR (variable bit rate) and CBR (constant bit rate) I'm thinking of posting a captured sample somewhere, but it will be with copyrighted material, so I have no idea how to do this...
I'm thinking I'll return this unit tomorrow and try another one. If the new unit isn't better I'll have to return that and call Toshiba again. I wish I had a contact at Toshiba... that would be nice. They should let me be a tester. =)

jacek p

Agent
Jeff,
Sounds terrible. As I mentioned above, I have some problems with MP3 in my 3750, but it is not that bad. have you realised that toshiba supported only 650MB disks (according to documentation with my player)?
------------------
jacek

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I have not read about the 650MB limit. But I it might make a difference. I'm not aware of the difference between the structure of the 650/700MB discs. If the bit/track spacing is different I could see it making a difference. If there is just extra data space at the end of the disc (the outside of the disc) that shouldn't matter.
I've tried the following media types:
Generic CD-R 650MB - bad audio
TDK CD-R 650MB - bad audio
Maxell CD-R 700MB -bad audio
Maxell CD-RW 650MB - screeching audio (undecoded data stream)
FujiFilm CD-R 700MB - bad audio
I've tried mp3's from many sources including the net, made myself. Bit rates range from 128kbps to 320kbs, constant bit rates and variable bit rates, joint stereo and not.
Nothing seems to play correctly. I'm going to take the discs into bestbuy and see if I can try them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks