Toshiba 4700 issues, annoyances, questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Prentice Cotham, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I have had a Toshiba 4700 for a while now for my Toshiba 50H81 16x9 TV and the Denon 3802. One thing I am consistently noticing is audio dropouts. I use a Monster fiber optic cable to connect to the receiver and I've noticed a fair amount of dropouts in different titles. I was watching Not Another Teen Movie last night for example and I noticed 3 dropouts. One might be attributed to the layer change if there is one but the rest are inexplicable. I think someone mentioned before that using a digitial coax might fix this problem, but I wondered if this was still the case?

Sometimes with horizontal or vertical movement of the image the picture stutters. For example, I was watching Spy Kids and as the parents move from left to right across the screen as they are parachuting landing on the boat at their wedding the image is not smooth. It's like frames are being pulled out of the image so it appears stuttered. I noticed it in the interlaced mode and the progressive mode. I didn't seem to have this problem with my Sony interlaced models in the past. Anyone have any hints, solutions, etc?

This is the second 4700 I've had. Both exhibited the audio problems. I can't recall if the other player did the image stuttering but it most likely did.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My Toshiba 4700 is connected via a Monster optical audio cable to a Yamaha receiver and has not exhibited any audio drop-outs.

Also, I have never noticed a stuttering motion effect that you describe. I have the player connected via Monster component cables to my Sony 36XBR450. The player is set to progressive and auto 3:2 mode.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but the 4700 has been a solid performer for me.

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

no problems with mine either...

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've also got the 4700 connected to a Denon 3802. I've never had an audio drop out. Stupid question...but have you checked that your connections are secure? I had the problem you described once & I realized that one of the toslink cables was not "snapped" in.

I do think there is room for improvement on this player. I've found that the interlaced output into my Pioneer Elite 610 produces a better picture than the progressive output. I would think that a top progressive playe would improve the results. Also, I HATE how you need to go through the set up menus every time you change from DVD-Video to DVD-Audio.

5. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Prentice, my 4700 has not experienced any of those problems. I would start looking at something else in the chain as the culprit or try your luck with another 4700, or just a new DVD player. I'm sorry I can't help more than that.

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I had a 3750 for about a week before getting rid of it (the same as yours but with no DVD-A). I experienced the audio dropouts you are describing connected to my Yamaha receiver. I was using a coaxial cable. My previous player, a 2200, never dropped out - same receiver, same cables, same everything. I therefore concluded that it was a problem with the player.

At the time, there were many people who had similar complaints, both with coax and optical, so I got rid of the player.

I'm not sure why some people experience the problem and others don't, but you shouldn't doubt that it's the player if your previous player worked fine, and no other equipment/cables have changed.

As for the image problem, I've never encountered that. Are you sure it isn't a data dropout due to a faulty DVD?

Martin.

8. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

All my connections are secure. It has to be the player on the audio dropouts since others have had this problem.

Does anyone have Spy Kids to test? I watched the same portion on my Sony player and it does the same thing. Maybe it's the way it's shot. The sequence is in the first chapter as the parents are landing on the boat.