1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 4700, 5700 vs JVC SA75

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Rohlfs, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Just got a 32 inch Sony 450 HD ready TV. Very cool.
    I am considering replacing my Toshiba 2109 with a Prog Scan DVD/DVD-A player. My receiver has the 5.1 input for the DVD-A. I am not looking to spend more than $300.
    The RP61 seemed like a slam dunk, but Panasonic decided not to sell them in the US.
    I see Toshiba has the 4700 and 5700 on their web site. The 5700 doesn't seem to be available.
    Is the 4700 any good. The search function on the forum seems to be down all the time [​IMG]
    How about the JVC SA75GD? Does it have the 5 or so different modes. Sounds inconvenient.
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. Tod Gettys

Tod Gettys Auditioning

I had the 4700 on order and wound up cancelling it in favor of the JVC 65GD, which I believe is very similar to the 75 but without DVD Audio. From what I understand, the delivery date for the 4700 has been pushed back to October. I put the 4700 on preorder in June with a promised July delivery, and I got tired of waiting. I'm vry happy with the 65GD, and I would expect good performance from the 75 as well.
    ------------------

3. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tod,
    I ordered the 75.
    Peter

4. Thomas Jenkins

Thomas Jenkins Auditioning

Peter,
    I ended up getting the 75 when I got sick of waiting for the 4700. I have it hooked up to a 56H80. I honestly couldn't be happier with it's performance.
    The manual's not the greatest though so here are a few suggestions;
    There are two 16x9 settings - pick the 16x9 auto since the 16x9 normal will put balck bars all the way around a non-anamorphic disc. However, when watching a 4x3 DVD switch it to 16x9 normal.
    There are four different progressive mode settings. I ended up leaving it on film, since the auto setting can't always pick up the flags of some movies, and so it ended up switching back and forth - which was noticeable and irritating.
    I haven't tried the DVD-Audio yet. Not sure if I want to start spending $26 for music.