Toshiba 43HX70 HD monitor with 3:2 pulldown in San Francisco Bay Area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_H, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

Sad to say, but my apartment is so small, this crisp TV has got to go. (Gonna get a small box for casual viewing; save for a projector, for serious stuff.)

A little more than one year old, with more than 4.5 years left on the extended service contract (which includes free annual tune ups, one of which could be used after the TV gets into its new home). The service contract is fully transferable (for $10) and it is a $400 value. I had 'em out for one service call, early on, to get the focus and convergence spot on.

In addition to the 43HX70 Toshiba HDTV itself, I've got the Toshiba stand for it (a $200 value) which will be yours, too. Note that this is one of the later 43HX70 models, with the 3:2 pulldown enabled. It is a 4:3 set, and does the sqeeze on 540p or 1080i material, but not on 480p from a DVD player. But, you also don't get those artifacts like with the Toshiba's that upconvert all 480i and 480p NTSC to 540p.

I think this beauty would fit into a minivan or SUV with adequate cargo area. It definitely won't fit in my litte coupe! So the buyer would need to pick it up or arrange for pick up in San Francisco.

I'm looking for half of what the package of TV, calibration, extended service contract, and stand cost me (2800 / 2 =) $1400. I'll knock the price down a bit if you have a small TV you'll trade me as part of the mix (definitely no larger than 27inches, and smaller is better!) depending on what the TV is.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Why can't you guys move to Indiana so I can buy your TVs...would it be that much trouble? [​IMG]
    ^bump for a good deal

3. Nathan_H

Alas: I'd guess that if I lived in Indiana, my apt would -- I HOPE! -- be larger than 475 square feet and I could keep the TV without my SO feeling like she's living with a giant TV in the living room :)

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hey...TV vs. Space...I'd go with TV everytime [​IMG]
    G'luck selling this badboy.

5. Nathan_H

Yeah, but in the Space vs TV vs SO preferences equation, it gets even more complicated [​IMG] -- of course, little things like the universal remote with macros to turn everything one and get all the settings correct bought several months of tolerance about the space situation. But it's time to ameliorate the situation... though at least she likes watching it, so I've got time to work on it!

6. PaulWoll

PaulWoll Auditioning

7. Nathan_H

Of course!

Add the cost of a stand, and a longer extended warranty than they offer, to their price (since I'm including those)... and then their refurbished TV will be $500 to $600 more than what I'm asking...

(Who knows what their used TV has been through? I know that mine has been pampered, with contrast set to below 30% from the day it arrived, no children or pets in the house, etc.)

So in a more apples-to-apples comparision, if you want the extras like a stand, the service contract, etc., their price is closer to $2k.

Although I don't offer delivery service, I also don't charge you $205 dollars, which is what they charge for delivering their used TV to the SF Bay Area... pushing their offering, for a similar package, to over $2k.

----------

In terms of trade-in value: Here's an example... For a recent-vintage 20inch TV with S-video input though not a videophile monitor I'd do something like 75% of what you paid. For something older, closer to 50%.

----------

But since the policy of Home Theater Forum is no "or best offer" sales and no haggling, if what you mean by "can you do better?" is Will I reduce my price?, I have to say "No".

Sorry, I believe it's good deal. In fact, I'd be on other side of such a deal, if this was the right TV for my home theater setup.

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Nathan, nice response, sorry for the thread fart.
    [​IMG]
    Gregg

9. Nathan_H

Farts happen.[​IMG]
    I'm guessing Paul's offer is not pending, so this fine High Definition monitor is still available.

10. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Let me chime in by saying there is nothing worse than someone saying, "I can get it cheaper at ..." about your classified.

First of all, if you compare apples to apples, you can't get it cheaper!

To anyone, except Stevie Wonder, the link price was almost the same price WITHOUT the stand and service contract.

I'd go with an HTF member over some cold, avarice, company any day. Hell, I'd pay a little more to the "Forum Guy", knowing that the HTF people are just like me, every day schmoes just having fun with a hobby.

Let's say for a minute, it was the same price... My mother used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it".

Good luck on the TV. You seem like a nice guy...

11. Nathan_H

Thanks.

--

Another thing worth mentioning: Since this TV doesn't upconvert 480p to 540p, one can optimize the 480p input's convergence separately from the 540p/1080i convergence... which allows us tweakers the ability to fine tune each environment, separately. (Very handy, imo.)

---

AND, for good measure, I'll include my Audio Authority VGA -> Component Video transcoder for an additional $85, if the buyer wants it. (Great for connecting an HTPC to an HDTV.)

12. Nathan_H

An email inquiry reminded me: I can confirm that I have a copy of the service manual (3 hole punched), and a copy of the convergence alignment grid, on vellum -- both of which you will receive with this monitor.
    And for those that want all the details about the set, here is the page at the Toshiba site about it: http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/archive/43HX70.html

13. Nathan_H

In looking through the materials I have for this HDTV, I realized also that I could part with the set of component video Monster Cables -- so those are now part of the package.

For those that want to see the official Toshiba specs more easily than browsing to another site:

The 43HX70 Includes all the Toshiba Cinema Series® Television Standard Features Plus:

VIDEO

HDTV-Compatible (1080i)

1200 Lines Horizontal Resolution

PowerFocus™ HD 6-Element Lens System

PowerFocus™ HD CRT (Improved)

Improved IDSC™ (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion)

New Vector Progressive Scanning (480p)

New Advanced Video Noise Reduction

AUDIO

SRS Surround Sound

CONVENIENCE

New Illuminated A/V Universal Remote Control

Multiwindow Dual-Tuner Picture-In-Picture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Toshiba Cinema Series® Televisions have the following standard features:

VIDEO

Multilinear Digital Focus

TheaterBright™ Screen With SLD

Built-In High-Contrast TheaterShield™ Plus

Red And Green Color Lens Filters

First Surface Mirror

Wide 160-Degree Horizontal Viewing Angle

Digital Video Noise Reduction

New 16:9 Mode with Vertical Compression

3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter

with Vertical Contour Correction

Advanced Velocity Scan Modulation

Dynamic Quadruple Focus

Fine White & Black Level Expander

Color Temperature Control (Warm/Medium/Cool)

Wide-Band Video Amplifier

Flesh Tone Correction and Color Detail Enhancer

AUDIO

MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx®

Sub Bass System (SBS)

Dual-Cone Speaker System

28 Watts Audio (Total)

CONVENIENCE

Favorite Channel

2 Rear A/V Inputs

2 Rear S-Video Inputs

2 ColorStream® HD Component Video Inputs

Front Panel A/V Inputs

Front S-Video

A/V Outputs

Variable Audio Outputs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinema Series, Cinema Series HD, and ColorStream are registered trademarks of Toshiba America Consumer Products, Inc. ColorStream Pro, PowerFocus, SuperTUBE, BlackStripe, TheaterBright, TheaterShield are trademarks of Toshiba America Consumer Products, Inc. Cyclone, FST Black and FST Perfect are registered trademarks of Toshiba Corp. dbx is a registered trademark of Carillon Electronics Corp. As an Energy Star Partner, Toshiba Corporation has determined that all TVs shown in this catalog meet the Energy Star guidelines for energy efficiency.