Toshiba 43H71 - question about geometry, squeeze mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Mar 19, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jul 24, 2000
    I looked at this set yesterday at Best Buy, and the black bars when it's set to 16:9 mode has horrible geometry, they were bent and leaning down on the left side of the screen. The bend varied slightly depending on how bright the picture was.

I realize that the BB floor sets aren't set up very good, but I just want to make sure that the problem I saw is correctable by the user, if it exists at all once the set is properly set up (not professionally calibrated though).

It's an inexpensive set, $1700 + tax at BB, but this was way too annoying to put up with.

Does anyone know?

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    Mike, this is correctable, but it's not something the average user would be able to do.

The proper thing to do is to use a geometry overlay and enter the TVs service convergence system to re-set the TVs geometry and convergence. For an experienced person, it's about an hours work for each mode and that set has 2 modes.

Geometry is something that can very considerably from set to set. You may get one that looks just fine. Otherwise, a call to your local Toshiba service outlet would be in order, unless this is something you wanted to tackle yourself. There are plenty of references around the internet with the necessary information.