Toshiba 42HDX82 Black Lines Differ

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman L, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

When watching a DVD in Wide Screen 2, which should have the smallest black lines. The bottom black line is very very small but the top black line is wide like Wide Screen 3.
    All other Wide Screen choices WS1, WS3, Full have the same size black line top and bottom , only WS2 has wide on top and very small on bottom.

Does the TV have a problem or is it the DVD player? Can I adjust it myself or do I need service.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Press MENU, then < or > to get to the THEATER menu. Select the SCROLL PICTURE function and scroll the picture up or down as needed.

But...

The Wide 2 setting does cut off part of the picture top and/or bottom, and it loses you resolution (sharpness). I'd go with FULL or Wide 1, personally, and put up with the small bars.

Enjoy!

Jan

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Ummm.. Jan.. if it's a non-anamprhic DVD then Wide2 is how to view it in the correct aspect ratio, which I assume is what Norman is attempting to do.

Jan's instructions are correct though to shift the picture. You can also change the VPOS setting in the service menu, but this is easier to do and achieves the same thing.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Bill,

I stand corrected!

Jan

5. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Thanks, Jan and Bill,
    I found out that I did not set my DVD to 16:9 TV, it was set to 4:3. When I made the change the WD2 setting corrected. Now it looks best in Full.