What's new

Toshiba 42h83: a good set? I've been offered one for US$1200 (1 Viewer)

canali

Agent
It is my first foray into widescreen (large) and i can't afford the hitachi 57s500...plus i realize DLP sets will be only improving over the next few yrs and dropping in price, so thought this might tide me over in the mean time.

Just found this floor model today for $US1200/Toshiba
42H83

your 2 cents are appreciated.
cheers
joe

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You can also get a front projector like the X1 for well under that price point.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Though front projectors are the best way to get the largest picture they also tend to be the most expensive. Though the X1 is a good projector its resolution is only 600 by 800, which means that its 16:9 resolution is only 450 by 800. I personally don't see the purpose of getting a front projector that you can't even get near because of the low resolution. The main reason for HDTV wasn't to get a bigger picture, but instead to be able to get closer to the picture.

I would recommend that if you get a front projector that it have a resolution of at least 720p. As far as I know the cheapest 720p projectors costs from $1500 to $2000. This thread discusses two of the best low cost projectors, which are the Sanyo Z2 and the Panasonic L500U. Besides the cost of the projector you also have to figure on the costs of the screen, screen installation, and occasional lamp replacements. And of course where to put the projector which may involve installing a cabinet on the wall. Though there are several benefits to a front projector there are also costs and difficulties as well.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
HDTV resolution is important to him only if he's getting that programming.

For DVD watching, the X1 is more than adequate.

He hasn't told us his needs...

canali

Agent
Just bought a Hitachi 51S500 for US$1700 on the wkend.
Best bang for the buck for a large screen until LCD/DLP prices drop and bugs get worked out....sure the direct
view Sony 34" widescreen offers a better pic, but it's only
34"...hey, for us guys, bigger IS better!
;)

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks