What's new

Toshiba 42H82 questions (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay. Here's the deal. I believe I've decided on my next TV purchase (which will take place in or around April of next year). It's going to be a Widescreen RPTV, as I believe (IMHO, of course) that a Widescreen Hi-Def RPTV picture has all but surpassed the mediocre direct views in comparison.
I've checked out a lot of different TV sets (Mitsubishis are my favorite for their incredible picture). Problem is, there is no way I'd be able to get a 55" Mits. up the stairs and into my already cluttered room. So, I've decided on the Toshiba 42H82 (or H83 if they are releasing newer models next year). I have a couple questions for those that have the set:
1. How much bigger is the picture on a 42" 16x9 set when compared to the picture on a 32" 4x3 set? Specifically, the set I have now is a Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. Of course, if you didn't upgrade from a 32" to a 42" then you don't need to answer this question.
2. My next big audio upgrade (slated for Fall of next year) will be Paradigm Speakers (Reference Studio 40s for fronts, 20s for surrounds, and Studio CC for center channel -- also considering an SVS subwoofer). My question concerning the center channel is will the Tosh be able to handle supporting the speaker on top of the TV?
3. I have read many cases where people have highly praised the Toshiba line of RPTVs. However, I am looking for confirmation that I have made the correct decision. Also a couple questions concerning the dreaded Toshiba upconversion via Progressive Scan Component Inputs: Does it really introduce that many artifacts into the picture? Would they be noticeable for a videophile like me? Or are the artifacts generated by the upconversion simply too small to be detected by the naked eye?
Thanks in advance for answers to these questions!
EDIT: Also, it would be helpful if I could see photos of members' home theaters (specific links would be best, although I'll search them out if I have to) with the above TV. It would be nice if the photos had the above audio setup as well. That's just so I can drool over my upcoming purchases. :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Scott- No, I have not. However, from what I have heard of Worst Buy's recent price fixing policies (carrying slightly different models of televisions unavailable elsewhere to prevent price matching), I doubt I would ever buy from them. But I will check them out at Worst Buy.
Thanks! :)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
Mitsubishi makes a 48" widescreen as well as the 42" mentioned above. There's no reason to go to best buy, you can get these at any MITS dealer including chains such as SEARS or Ultimate Electronics. That said, there's nothing wrong with going Toshiba. You might also want to look at the new Sony 46" tabletop set coming out in November.
As far as comparing tv sizes, this is the only link you'll ever need...
Link Removed
Good luck in your search.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I went from a 35" direct view 4:3 Mits to the 42H81 Toshiba (last year's model). It's been terrific. I love the color, don't notice the upconversion...and the new models are even better at it...and have found it to be very tweakable. Here's a link to Michael TLV's excellent article on Tosh upconversion: link
The top of the Tosh is pretty shallow, about 2 1/2", and my Cambridge SoundWorks center channel speaker is about 7 1/2" deep. I bought a $10 plastic top-of-TV shelf that was made for a direct view set and was quite deep, and ended up using only half of it. It has adjustable legs to spread part of the weight of the speaker to the back chassis of the set.
With widescreen DVDs, the difference in size between a 32" 4:3 set and a widescreen 42" set is enough to create a "wow" factor. Broadcast 4:3 stuff will be about the same size unstretched.
I really couldn't be happier with my purchase of a 42" RPTV Tosh, but then, most RPTV buyers are similarly delighted regardless of brand.
Jan

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Brian,

Go as big as you can.

Also consider the Panny 47 and 53 inch sets. Both are gorgeous once tweeked out. Both also have a small foot print.

Regards

Gregg

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i have the 42h82 as well.
i dont know about compaired to a 32", but next to a 27" its a whole lot bigger, and much much better.
the tv top is very narrow as mentioned before. i have an infinity entra center on mine, with no additional support. one thing i do like about the tv top is that it slightly angles my center down toward my ears.
the pic quality is great.
you can check out my system here.
keep in mind this pic is a bit old, i dont have my center sitting on top in this picture, and i have moved my l/r speakers around some. my site is in bad need of updating. hehe.
as far as best buy goes, thats where i got my set. i made use of their financing plans, and got mine on sale for about $100 off and got 18months free financing. i think right now they are offering 24 month free financing.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I will be hooking up an HTPC this weekend to my 65HX81(if I get the transcoder by then) so I will be comparing the RP91 picture quality to the HTPC. I am mostly going to see if there is any loss in resolution when watching a movie, not test patterns. I will have the HTPC and the 91 hooked up at the same time, I will be playing the same movie on both players at the same time so I can just change inputs and see if there is a difference. Let me know if you want me to tell you how it goes, I wouldn't even mind if some of you local guys wanted ot come over and see for yourselfs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks