Toshiba 42H82 Model Specs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

I really like Toshiba's 42H81 42" widescreen theaterwide set. I've even seen it for as little as $1,699!

I'm not anywhere near upgrading TVs yet, but I am curious since I've heard about Toshiba making a H82 model of this.

What are the specs/improvements/price?

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

You can go to www.toshiba.com and follow the links to TV's and they have the 50H82 up on the site. The 42H82 will have similar features. If you need more you can go to the owners manuals section and they have both the 42H82 and 42HDX82 manuals available for download.
    a side note- www.onecall.com has the 42H81 for $1350.00, that's awfully hard to resist.

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Not trying to crap on the toshiba brand, but why pay $1,700 for a 42" Toshiba that upconverts all 480p to 540p when you can get a Panasonic 47WX42 with a 5" larger screen and native 480P for $200 less?

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

In my case, the price was virtually the same for both sets. Esthetics made the Tosh more desirable.

Something about the Tosh was more acceptable to my spouse. Part of it was the size, part was the styling. She looked at every other RPTV on the market and said "ugh." She saw the Tosh and said, "This one's not too bad." That amounts to a ringing endorsement from her for anything electronic.

Our viewing space is quite small. The depth of the Tosh was actually the same as the 20" direct view Mitsubishi we'd been using since the 35" set died.

The 35" had really worn on both of us. The giant, staring eye dominating the living room made it seem as if we lived inside a 1950s flying saucer. Because of the shallow footprint, the Tosh fit into our bay window with very little protrusion. Another 6" of depth would have made it stick out prominently into the room. More width would have made the problem worse.

Space is a luxury. Since our house is small, it's hard to come by open areas. Shaving off a few inches here and there really makes a difference, and the Tosh gave us a bigger picture than we'd had with the 35" direct view Mits, so it was a perfect choice for us.

Jan

5. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Josh,
    I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that the Panny is not DVI upgradeable. Although the debate rages on about whether DVI will be the input for the future, I'd rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it. And the fact that almost all Manufacturers have this input on their new sets (Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi ...) makes me suspect this the "winning" format has been predecided.
    I was very close to buying the 47" but backed out when I heard the 02/03 models had no DVI input and no upgradeability gaurantee. Still waiting to see if Panny does something about this since I would imagine it is going to start hurting sales since all their competitors are following suit.
    The informative www.panny.tv site makes the Panny a very attractive option on it's own!