Toshiba 42H82 DVI upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew Hoogs, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Extra

Ok I saw this as one of the features whe I bought this TV, now when Im looking to upgrade it I cant find any information about it. Do any of you know how much it is and what it involves? Thanks.

2. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Your best bet is to call Toshiba and see if the upgrade is available yet. It most likely requires a certified Toshiba servicer to install it since it would involve opening the back of the TV.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

From what I've been told, the 'upgrade' is to replace the entire jack-pack on the back of the set with one from an HDX model. All the electronics to support DVI are part of the jack-pack.

I don't think Toshiba actually has a program in place for this though - at this time, at least. You have to buy the new jack-pack and pay to have it installed. Check with Toshiba though as this might not be correct anymore.

4. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Extra

Here is the response I got from Toshiba:

Thanks for writing!

Toshiba does not have a process for the DVI upgrade in place at this time.
    The DVI upgrade ability is an option that will be available in the future.
    No timeline has been announced.

Please write back if I can assist you further.

Jason
    Toshiba Customer Service

Real helpful huh? Especially for a feature they advertise while selling this unit, seems pretty crappy to me. How old is this TV? More than a year, probably closer to 2 years and they STILL dont have anything in place for the "upgrade" thats bad customer service if you ask me.

I wonder what Sears return policy is, it says "Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back" with no time frame listed which is odd. I am not satisfied with not having a DVI output, I wonder what they would say.

5. Joshua-E

Joshua-E Auditioning

Andrew I work at a Sears in the electronics department. We don't carry the HDX series. I don't know if the Sears near you will return your tv because we usually give a person a "reasonable amount of time" unless they bought a protection agreement. They consider a reasonable amount of time, long enough for you to get to know the product. And it's really hard to return something if it's been more than 90 days.

6. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Extra

I did buy the 3 year protection agreement if that means anything. You guys may not carry the HDX series but the H83 has DVI. I know they probably wont do it, just thought it was worth a shot.