Toshiba 42H82 "CLICKING"!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_M, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Mar 26, 2002
    OK. So I am at work and my wife calls me.
    "Al, I was just watching TV and all of a sudden the TV goes off with a clicking sound. Then I tried to turn it back on, but no power and no picture. Just an intermittent clicking sound."
    [​IMG] Right about now my knees got weak and I almost dropped the phone! This TV is just over a month old and 2 thousand dollar TVs shouldn't act this way!
    So calmly, I asked her several questions:
    Had the TV been on long? (overheating?) "No."
    Are all the other components OK? (receiver, DVD, DirecTV etc.) "Yes"
    --All my components are hooked up to a Monster Power Bar so I was thinking that a surge would either have tripped the Monster or fried everything!
    So I tell her to gently slide the TV out of the entertainment center and pull the plug.
    She complies and the clicking stopped. Very good. *partially relieved*
    Now I tell her to wait about 5 minutes and plug it back in. *I wait on the phone anxiously*
    Now she plugs it back in more clicking! *more relieved*
    Power clicking.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm! I wonder what this could be?
    Any ideas what it could have been? Has this happened to anyone?
    Whatever the case, Toshiba will be getting a service call request tomorrow!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    PS -- I swear my wife must be cursed! This kind of shit happens to her all the time. With the TV, the car, the name it. But I never get to experience these strange occurrences! There has got to be a name for this kind of phenomena!
  2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Dec 26, 2001
    ER, I've read this happening before from a lot of people in HTS. From reading their posts, they act like it's just a "specification" taht comes with Toshiba, along with the audio hiss. It doesn't sound like a good thing.