Toshiba 42H82 Brightness?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_M, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Mar 26, 2002
    I have had a Toshiba 42H82 for a week now. I did a S&V video calibration after warming up a few hours.
    Tonight while watching DVDs my wife and I both noticed reddish areas on the extreme left and right of the screen during dark scenes. It is especially noticeable on the DVD welcome screen. The center is almost black but the sides get noticeably lighter and reddish. I tried lowering the brightness and that seemed to help, but I think it is too dark. I had the brightness at 35 but now is at 25 to 30 so as not to notice the "reddish" areas. Scale ranges from 0 to 100. Contrast is at 40 if that matters. Temperature is medium, Flesh Tone is OFF, ALS is OFF.
    Any ideas?
    I will probably try calibrating again tommorow. Could it be that the set is breaking in? I would estimate there is about 40 or 50 hours on it right now. Please tell me this is not "burn in" of some sort!

BTW, DVD is on component video. SAT is on S-Video and is not suffering from this reddness. (At least it's not noticeable.)

Thanks for any help.
  2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

Jun 1, 2002
    well its not burn in, because i just bought the same set, had it on for under 2 hours, and i get the same thing. i dont have any calibration software yet, so i cant do anything there.
    but im using a ps2 for my dvd player temporarily, hooked up with composite cables.