Toshiba 42H81 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

How is it? I am close to taking the plunge, but for whatever reason, when I last walked into my store to look at it (Chicken Run was on...DVD), it looked "off". Some of the scenes looked pixelated, and some looked just wrong (almost like a digital horizontal shadowwithin an outlined image).
    Is this just a problem that was happening with this combo in this store. In general, what are the opinions of owners using a prog-scan DVD player with general DVD material?
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    ---
    rob michaw

2. Rob Michaw

Anybody?

3. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I got this TV about a month ago and love it. I also own Chicken Run, although I haven't yet viewed it on my 42H81. However, I have sampled Toy Story and other animated features and they have all looked absolutely stunning. I would guess that something was amiss with the setup.
    For the record, I'm using a "traditional" (i.e. NON-progressive) DVD player with component outs.
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 25, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Where were you standing when you were looking at this set? Ahhh, trick question, never look at a screen like this from a standing position. Look at it from a seated level and I'm sure your opinion will be different.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

5. Rob Michaw

I was crouching to an eye-level position. Could this have been a non-progressive issue?
    ------------------
    ---
    rob michaw

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

quote: Could this have been a non-progressive issue?[/quote]
    Extremely doubtful. Check out my previous post to this thread. These new Toshibas have very good 3:2 pulldown. Although it's still not quite as good as viewing a movie from a truly progressive DVD player, it's still pretty dang close. No, the problem you're describing is something else entirely.

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 25, 2001 at 02:25 PM]