Toshiba 42H81 or Panny 47WX49???? Please Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I'm trying to decide between these to HDTV 16:9 sets, and I wanted to know which one you would recommend?? Any advice would be helpful, thanks [​IMG]
    ------------------

2. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I'm leaning towards the Panny. 5 more inches and excellent reviews from people online who own the set. I think it looks a little sleaker too. Also, the Panny is available a little cheaper. The Toshiba does have a better name in the RPTV HDTV area though...

3. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I wrestled with this dilemma recently and ended up going for the Toshiba 42H81. Yes, you get more picture size for your buck with the Panny. However, I much preferred the picture quality on the Toshiba, not to mention that it seems to be more highly regarded by most HTFers. Just go with your gut, though.
    [​IMG]

4. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I own the Panny and if you decide on Toshiba you might as well get the 50" instead of the 42". [​IMG]

5. Dwight Amato

Brian,
    What do you think of the Panny? Are you happy with your decision and does viewing hold up well on an angle?
    I'd love to get a 50", but the 47" is the largest I can fit. I will have exactly 1/2 inch on each side in my wall cubby.

6. Brian Mello

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Brian,
    Thanks for being Michael's "guinea pig" on the Panny 47! [​IMG]
    I'm on his October L.A. list and I can't wait to have him work on the set. I know my gray scale is in torch mode right now, but at least I turned down brightness and contrast to avoid burn-in.
    Honestly, you should plan to have most any HD set ISF'd, and the Panny after calibration supposedly looks as good as most sets in and around its price range (heard that from a couple of ISF'ers in this and other forums). The picture tubes are going to be comparable in quality, it's just deciding which set has the bells and whistles you want.

8. Dwight Amato

How did you get it for $1699? The best price I found was Onecall.com for $1799, which includes shipping so Sears will match that price plus tax. I'd love to save an extra $100...

9. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

I bought the panny 3 days ago and did all the tweaks on Brett's panny site and the set is very nice.The set seems to be getting better every day

10. Brian Mello

Brian,
    Thanks for being Michael's "guinea pig" on the Panny 47!
    Carlo, he actually calibrated that one in Canada per his articles on Keohi the week before he came to Atlanta. You will be in good hands come October! [​IMG]
    How did you get it for $1699? The best price I found was Onecall.com for $1799, which includes shipping so Sears will match that price plus tax. I'd love to save an extra $100...
    Go to yahoo.com shopping and search on the Panny. It will spit out prices under $1600. Print out a few different ones and try a bunch of Sears in your town. Your mileage will vary. I went to four Sears before I got the right deal. On some Saturdays they have 10% or 12 month no interest deals also. Good Luck! [​IMG]

11. Dwight Amato

I cannot wait to get this set. One question, what is the resolution of the set. I know it says it does 1080i, but the spec sheet says it only has 850 lines of resolution. Does this mean that it cannot faithfully reproduce the best HDTV signal? Also, does this mean that other sets (like the Toshiba) have a higher resolution?

12. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I've read that Panasonic measures their lines in a different manner than Toshiba. I don't know if this is accurate, just what I have read.
    I think the Panasonic is more bang for the buck. Very tweakable and looks fantastic when set up right. I would certainly take it over the Tosh 42" and I think it's a better deal than the Tosh 50".

13. Dwight Amato

Well, I made my mind up tonight and finally ordered the Panny 47". Pushed delivery out for a week and a half. I will post here my impressions (hopefully good) when I get it!

14. Carlo Medina

Guys, please remember that either set, but the PT-47 in particular, needs at least basic ISF calibration. It comes out of the box blazing hot at over 10,000K, some say close to 16,000k (NTSC standard being 6500K). This is not to be confused with high contrast and brightness (which it also has, but can be user adjusted). They gray scale and accuracy of the set will be greatly enhanced if you can get ISF calibration--and a good one will know how to unplug the SVM wires.
    To be honest, though, I wouldn't count this as an "extra" expense for the Panny as most any HD RPTV set should be ISF calibrated anyway.

15. Brian Mello

It comes out of the box blazing hot at over 10,000K, some say close to 16,000k (NTSC standard being 6500K).
    Carlo, believe it or not my Panny's pre-calibration reading was around 7500K. It calibrated at ~6450K. I must have gotten lucky or maybe the Panny's aren't "blazing hot." Let us know what your's turns out to be! [​IMG]

16. Tracy B

Tracy B Auditioning

CARLO.....sorry...have to disagree with you a bit here. My Panny post-tweak does not "require" an ISF calibration. Sure, and ISF may be able to shove it to near perfection, but it is hummin' along just fine after only fixing the red push and SVM tweaks. I have buddies - one with an ISF tweaked TOSH 50hx81; other with ISF tweaked MITSU 50809 - they both agree the Panny is delivering equal or better pic quality. Maybe I was just lucky?

17. Carlo Medina

Just posting what my experience and others have been. Seriously, you two are the first ones I've read that haven't been over 10000K.
    When did you buy your sets? Maybe Panasonic had become sensitive and toned down how their sets came out of the factory. The place I bought mine from had 3 sets and the display model and the set I bought were on torch mode. A dealer I know in Canada had similar probs with many of his PT-47s, he calibrates them as part of the service from his store so he's seen more than one or two PT-47s. Brett's PT-47 site has many testimonials of PT-47s in torch mode and so does Hometheaterspot. And finally Michael TLV has posted his findings on the PT-47s he's worked on and they've been in line with the torch mode theory.
    Hey, I'd be as happy as the next guy if Panasonic finally made their settings closer to NTSC standard, but I don't want anyone to get surprised if they get a set that was produced early on and is on torch mode.

18. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Mine is clearly near the 10k range. Real hot. [​IMG] I need an ISF, but I am moving next spring, so I will wait until I am in my new house before getting it ISF'd.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The last PT-47 I calibrated had a build date of September and the colour temperature went from a low of 11874 at 20 IRE, to a high of 15673 at 100 IRE. This was in the 'Warm' colour temperature setting. This is typical of the PT-47.
    The grey scale does track very flat afterwards though.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

20. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

To give my opinion on the original question, the 42H81 is a truly fabulous set with a gorgeous picture.
    The Panasonic is a terrific value, especially with the free RP56 you get right now (in Canada at least).
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics