What's new

Toshiba 42H81. First time setup FAQ? (1 Viewer)

Thomas R

Auditioning
Hello. I'm a brand new member to this board. I've been reading the forums here for about a week, and from the great info provided here, I decided to purchase my first RPTV this weekend; a Toshiba 42H81. I have a few important questions I would like answered before my RPTV is delivered this afternoon. Any help would be great.
1) Is there a setup FAQ for Toshiba HD-RPTV's?
2) Is there a place that lists what are usually the best brightness/contrast/color temp settings? Is this "torch mode" I keep reading about the factory default picture setting?
3) Should I disable the SMV mode immediately upon receiving the unit?
4) The room I am going to place this in has 4 windows to the left of the unit. Should I worry about glare, and if so, I've read posts here about removing the glare screen. Is this a good idea?
Thanks for any help you can give me setting up my new unit.
Thomas

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Sorry to drift off topic, but I'm currently on the lookout for this set. Can you tell me where you purchased it from? (I only ask because I live less than three hours from you.)
THANKS!
Link Removed

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on September 10, 2001 at 01:32 PM]

MattSherlock

Stunt Coordinator
Ubid.com have been selling new units one at a time for the last 2 weeks, reserve price is around $1569. I don't know how they have the new models first before other major distributors.

Thomas R

Auditioning
Mark,
I found it at Bjorn's Audio/Video here in San Antonio. It's the only real mid-high end A/V place in San Antonio. You can reach them at 210-828-3237. The list price on the set was $1999.99 in the store, but I was able to talk the salesman down to $1875.00 when I mentioned pricematching.
Any other answers to the setup questions?? :)
p.s. - Bjorn's is an evil place. :) You'll never walk out of there wanting nothing. The have all the new Sony XBR's, Pioneer Elite, and loads of plasma screens. Just ask to go sit in their $500,000 demo home theater room. The lens on their 120"+ front projector alone is over $35k... Woah.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Amen to that. Bjorn's is very nice, but not on the pocket book. So how do you like the new set?
Anyway, search the forum for posts about the 50h81 and the 57h81. Someone did post some of your answers already, but I don't remember where.
[Edited last by Trey Jones on September 10, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

Thomas R

Auditioning
Actually, I have no idea how it looks. My wife went home to meet the delivery guys at 2pm this afternoon. I'll see it as soon as I leave work and get home.
You know what, I'm outta here. I wanna see my TV. :)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
quote: The list price on the set was $1999.99 in the store, but I was able to talk the salesman down to $1875.00 when I mentioned pricematching.[/quote]
Thanks for the info. That price sounds reasonable. Best Buy is asking $2,299, which seems insane to me, especially considering that they're selling the 50H81 for $2499.
In regards to your setup questions, you might want to check out the Toshiba section of http://hometheaterspot.com

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on September 10, 2001 at 06:49 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks