Toshiba 40H80 Woes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul O, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Begin Rant. I bought a Toshiba 40H80 from One Call in November and it has been nothing but Problems. It frequently reset itself - power would go off and default settings (4:3) would be restored..kind of embarassing when you invited everyone over to check out your fancy new rig. Then the image would appear only in RED...it would take anywhere from 15-30 minutes for the rest of the colors to appear. Finally the Image just stopped coming on at all - just audio. Believe it or not - the biggest frustration hasnt been the problems with the set, but dealing with Toshiba's Incompetent dealer service network. The first service rep (name was Dee, said so on his shirt) looked at the set like it was some sort of space meteorite...he hit it a few times, unscrewed the panels - proceeded to turn every knob he could find to the left, then to the right, then to the left again. He screwed up every possible setting before declaring the set would have to be brought back to the shop - OK no problem, except it seems Toshiba doesnt pay authorized service centers enough to pick up the set because they thought of every possible excuse not to come by and pick it up. I finally stopped calling them after 2 months of broken appointments where the owner stopped returning my calls - i got excuses about broken trucks, inability to hire good help, and finally silence. (Sierra TV in San Bruno). According to Toshiba they are (were?) the only authorized dealer between San Jose and San Francisco - a small area that includes several million people, several of the most expensive cities in the country, and Silicon Valley. Toshiba arranged for a San Francisco dealer to drive down and look at the set - they also couldnt figure out what the problem was and took the TV back with them - laying it flat on its back for a nice 35 mile romp in a beat up van up to SF. Its been several weeks and when i call to inquire about when the tv is going to be ready I get a stock answer - "were waiting for parts" or "we have a lot of TV's here". I could ask if i could come over and set their shop on fire and i expect them to say "were waiting for parts". This set has 1 year warranty and its been broken for over 3 months and i suspect it will spend at least another month at its new home "waiting for parts". Whats laughable is that Toshiba sent me a "offer" to buy a 3 year extended warranty with the privelage of obtaining service from these monkeys - no thanks! I am in the market for a larger set and I won't be buying a Toshiba - im not sure if the other manufacturers have better service - but certainly they cannot have any worse! End Rant.

2. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

Paul,
    Sorry to read about your troubles with Toshiba. I have a TN50X81. It died on the 3rd day I had it. After the repair shop had the set for about a week, you guessed it, waiting on parts, the store where I bought it called and offered to give me a new set. I was very pleased. They probably gave me good service because I bought all my equipment there, about $7000. So I guess there are good and bad dealers and service shops out there. Have you tried going up the ladder with Toshiba? They do have a website, www.toshiba.com, where you can email them.
    Good Luck,
    Mike P

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Paul,
    I really hate to hear your dissatisfaction about Toshiba. I bought a Toshiba TW40x81 almost 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. This monitor sees daily use in my HT.
    I have a little story about customer service, but mine has a happy ending (except the part where I had to pay $300 to the repair shop...)
    I had a (still have as a matter of fact) 50" Hitachi Ultravision that lightning took out the power supply about 3 years ago. The AV shop I bought it from immediately put me in touch with an authorized repair facility who professionally handled the matter and fixed the tv in about 2 weeks. (They, of course, had to wait for parts.) The damage was about $300. Since then, I have had it in my game room and had no problems with it.
    Hope you get your problem straightened out with Toshiba.
    ------------------
    Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman [​IMG]

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to TV Forum.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."