Toshiba 40H80 vs 56H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Wong, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi,
    Almost decided on one of the 2 Toshiba models. My question is besides the size, what are the differences if any between them? Are all the internal components the same (eg. 7 inch CRTs, etc.)?
    Also, do they have roller wheels on the bottom? I'm just thinking about how does one transport them once they're out of the box.
    Thanks for any help.
    Joe
    ------------------
    Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

2. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

I have the 56 and I am very happy. It as 1600 lines of resolution and wheels.
    Try watching a 4:3 program on the 40 (it's very small.)
    My screen is about the size of four 27 inchers.
    ---------------------------------------------
    WARNING: *Prior to purchase of Home Theater Electronics you may suffer from acute indecision. Side effects can include confusion, anxiety, restlessness, tension, dry mouth, agitation, weight loss or gain, sexual dysfunction, sleeplessness, drowsiness, constipation, withdrawal from social activities, marriage and relationship difficulties, headaches, blurred vision, grandiosity, employment disturbances and bizarre thinking.
    You may want to consider professional help! [​IMG]
    *Continuous use of these products may cause addiction and require participation in financial counseling.

3. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Eric: Even though I don’t do it that much, watching 4:3 on my 40H80 isn’t very small. Actually it’s quite nice. Watching 4:3 on the 40H80 is the same as watching it on a 32" 4:3 TV.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

4. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

I could be wrong too, but I think they both have 7" CRTs and are pretty much the same except for size and the cabinet.
    Ryan
    ------------------

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Both sets use 7" CRTs. Even the 65H80 uses only 7" CRTs.
    The 40H80 has a 4 element lens system, where the 56H80 has 6. I wouldn't read a lot into that - could have a lot to do with the different screen sizes.
    Otherwise, the two sets are about the same. Both come on wheels.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

6. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

Joe,
    I cannot say about 40H80, but I remember Tosh service rep telling me that 56H80 & 65H80 are almost twins (but for size). Componentwise, I am sure there will be insignificant difference in H80 series. Obviously 40H80 is easier to move, both sets have wheels provided for. Unlike Mitsubishis, Toshibas come as one piece.
    Your decision making factor on 40" Vs 56" must be more on dimensions in your place and also viewing distance..
    Cheers,
    Kishore

7. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

Joe
    As said, they all have 7" CRTs but you can see all the specs at the Toshiba site.
    In 4:3 ratio my 56 is 46" diagonally so to me 32" is small.
    Additionally I usually watch 4:3 in "Theater Wide" mode giving me the whole 56' screen. (It does cut off some edges, but I have found there is little to miss there." When viewing sports especially boxing you're as close as the referee.
    The impact of the bigger screen enhances the action and you can sit at 6 ft even 5ft on an anamorphic DVD and not see scan lines.
    I was concerned that I might want a bigger TV later if I got the 40, but I figured that if got the 56 I wouldn't yearn for a smaller one. And I haven't...not yet!

8. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty much decided on the 56H80 now...only now I read that the 57H81 is reportedly coming out in a few weeks... People are saying this new set will be similar in price to the 56H80 - is this similar in MSRP or similar in discounted price? Eg. 56H80 are now going for as low as $2100-2200 on some online stores, compared to $4500 MSRP. I'm not sure if the new models will go for that low initially.
    So it looks like the 56H80 for now.
    Joe
    ------------------
    Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Can someone tell me if the current or new model Toshibas have 3:2 pulldown detection?
    Some said they didnt??
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

10. Kevin Miller

Kevin Miller Auditioning

The 40H80 and the 56H80 are nearly identical with the exception of the lens system another poster pionted out. The Toshiba H-series chassis' are among the best consumer RPTV HDTV sets available today. The Color decoding is among the best, the line doubler is improved over last year's X-series and the independent input memories make it one of my favorite sets. The H-series Toshibas also calibrate quite nicely.
    The screen size and the lens system on the 56H80 are the real differences. For an optimum viewing experience I recommmend you sit 3 to 4 picture heights away from the screen. This may help you decide on which set to go for. Be careful not to fall pray to the Bigger is Better thing as seating position is key. Even the best projectors well setup won't look good if you are sitting to close.
    Kevin
    -----------------------------------------
    Kevin Miller
    ISF Technician
    Video Consultant
    [email protected]

11. John_Pech

John_Pech Extra

Just to let you know, the 40H80 does not have wheels. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I got two turntables and a microphone