Toshiba 40H80 - Repair or Calibration?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cary, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

I know the set's getting a bit long in the tooth at a whole three years old. Anyway, I have a white cross on the set - easily seen against a light background, almost indistinguishable against a dark one. The horizontal one is prominent, but a vertical one shows up now and again. I have had the bezel off before for replacement.

Is there something that needs to be adjusted inside the set or is this a software calibration? And if it's hardware inside, can a diligent and knowledgable civilian do it, or do I need to go to a professional? Thanks to any & all with experience with this set.

Also, any fantastic tricks or tips for setting the convergence on the set. I've done about all I can with the 9 point internal setup, but it's still marginal at best.

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

When you say "white cross," where and how big is this white cross? My Tosh 65H80 has a white cross that is displayed in the center of the TV via the convergence menu. If that was left on for an extended period of time, you might have burn in.

My set has a faint vertical line that runs the height of the screen right in the middle. This is a known problem w/ that year's Toshiba RPTV's. I see it on light backgrounds, but my wife has never seen it.

Peace,

DM

3. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

No, this isn't the convergence cross. This is a 1/4" line that extends the entire length of the screen horizontally and vertically, spliting the screen into 4 equal quadrants. Again, the horizontal is far more noticeable than the vertical, and a light background shows it the most.

4. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I have a calibrated 40H80. I notice a line in the middle of the screen which is noticeable on white moving backgrounds. Is is vertical. It's especially bad on hockey games. I do not have a horizontal one. If this is what you're talking about then there is no fix for it.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Some older toshibas are well known for having a ghost line down the center of the image ... about 1/2 to 1 inch thick ... no fixable ... and within factory spec as they say ... unless one screamed very loudly.

Regards

6. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

Michael, when you say scream loudly, do you know anyone who has succeded in screaming loudly enough to get it fixed or was that just rhetorical?

Thanks

Elliott