1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 40H80 problems, please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeF, Nov 5, 2002.

1. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

Hi there. This evening, while watching TV on my 40H80, the display suddenly went dead. In fact, the TV may have powered off -- in any event, within a few seconds, I had turned it back on (or it remained on), with audio only (i.e. a blank screen). I turned the TV off, and after 5 minutes, turned it back on. The display was initially very bright and lacking in color balance; it went completely back to normal within 10 or 15 seconds, except now there are faint, wavy lines all over my screen, particularly visible against a black background.

Any idea what the cause might be and whether I can expect it to improve on its own?

2. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I had a similar problem with my 8-year-old Mitsubishi 35" direct view. After a couple of visits from a tech who spent several hours testing each capacitor, etc., and replacing some, he finally threw up his hands and said that he couldn't fix it. He suggested that a Mits repair station might be able to replace the motherboard for $500 or so, but on an 8-year-old set, I decided to set it out on the curb instead.

I really expect a direct view set to last more than 8 years, so I was pretty disappointed, although I've had good experience with other Mitsubishi electronics.

All I can do is wish you luck.

Jan