What's new

Toshiba 3750 Audio Drop Outs (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Sigh.
I've noticed two very short audio drop outs with my new 3750. I'm interested in knowing if anybody else who owns one has noticed them too. If so, what receiver are you using.
I'm using coaxial digital out to a Yamaha RX-V1000.
So far, one drop out in DD2.0, and one in DD5.1. No DTS drop outs yet.
In the case of the DD5.1 drop out, I replayed the section of the disc, and it did not repeat. So it looks like it's random (which is arguably worse).
I like everything else about this player, so I'm trying to decide what to do. I have most of a 30 day return policy left, so I don't need to decide today. If I do exchange it, what should I look at? Would the 4700 suffer from the same glitch?
Thanks in advance,
Martin.
------------------
DVD Collection

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I wish we could get an official word from the manufacturers about audio drop outs (especially Toshiba). The 3170 I had used to have random dropouts with my Sony receiver but pairing it up with another receiver, or pairing the Sony receiver with another type of DVD player would not exhibit the same phenomenon. I am not familiar with this newer Toshiba DVD player but you better find out for sure if it does suffer from this problem when mated with the receiver you have before the 30 day exchange period is over.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I wish we could get an official word from the manufacturers about audio drop outs (especially Toshiba). The 2108 I had used to have random dropouts with my Sony receiver but pairing it up with another receiver, or pairing the Sony receiver with another type of DVD player would not exhibit the same phenomenon. I am not familiar with this newer Toshiba DVD player but you better find out for sure if it does suffer from this problem when mated with the receiver you have before the 30 day exchange period is over.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got mine connected to an H/K AVR310 via optical and have not experienced any audio dropouts to date.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have noticed one dropout with my 4700. It happened on the DTS version of JP. I switched from optical to coax and it did not repeat(doesn't mean it won't happen again though). I have a Marantz SR7200(as a pre-amp). I certainly hope this isn't a problem with the player(or receiver for that matter).

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I just watched the Matrix, and had another drop out. This is really frustrating. This unit has all the features I want (while the main competitors seem lacking), but I can't keep it.
frown.gif

Martin.
------------------
DVD Collection

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I have to (sadly) confirm that I also experienced my very first audio dropout last night on my Toshiba 4700. The problem popped up on the DTS track for Planet of the Apes. In fact, the dropouts happened so frequently that I reluctantly switched over to the Dolby Digital track (no dropouts there).
I have a funny feeling this might have something to do with the 4700 not having an onboard DTS decoder. I guess I'll have to go through all the discs with DTS.
Grrrr... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
It has absolutely nothing to do with this.
Yes, I saw in another post that it may have something to do with the optical output. In that post, the person said that he no longer had the audio dropouts once he stopped using the optical bitstream. I'll have to try that.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I've posted about this on this and another forum. As a result of the replies I've received, I believe the problem has nothing to do with:
1. The receiver you are using
2. The method of digital audio delivery (coaxial or optical)
3. DD or DTS
Basically, the problem is with the new players. :frowning: Actually, nobody with a 5700 has complained, to my knowledge. But it is confirmed (at least, in my mind) for the 3750 and 4700.
Martin.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
It was probably my thread you read the other day. I posted that I've owned the 4700 for about 2 weeks now. I rented Swordfish last week and it had tons of scratches on it. I've been using the optical cable since my HD box only has coax out. The dvd had no less than TEN dropouts during the film. I got up right after the movie, changed back to coax and watched the ENTIRE dvd again with no dropouts through the coax cable.
I have since purchased the coax-to-optical converter for 30.00 from soundprofessionals.com and it works great for HDTV. Since that episode last week I have had NO dropouts and I believe it has to do with the extra digital conversions that the optical cable has to make when passing digital signals. I also thought the audio sounded much better on dvds when switching back to the coax cable. I know there have been huge debates over this issue but that's what my ears are telling me and I'm sticking with coax for dvd viewing.
Hope this helps some of you and at least gives you something to try to fix the problem before returning your 4700. If you have to try the coax to optical converter for your other components but definitely try the coax for dvd and see if it works for you too...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks