Toshiba 36HFX73 question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew B, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

Hello, I am thinking about getting a Toshiba 36HFX73 set and have a quick question. When viewing HDTV signals I have been told that some of the channels/networks are not true 16:9 images but 4:3 [​IMG] Now if this was a 16:9 set it would have the bars on the side, but since it is a 4:3 set it would be a different matter. Does the set lock into the 16:9 mode when doing HDTV meaning I would have the bars on top and bottom as well as the sides, or would it display the image filling the entire 4:3 screen? As far as I know the zoom functions only work for 480 signals not 1080... I would also like any feedback people have on this set (problems/issues etc..). Thanks for your time.

Andrew B

2. John S

John S Producer

Well I used to fuss aroound with cheater HD as I call it as far as try'n to get it to more fill the screen without any or even minimized bars around it... Cheater HD is the term I use for anything but real 16:9 natively shot by the camera video being fully displayed from a DTV channel.

After a few weeks of fussing with different zooms / stretches / crops, I now just display it however it comes in, because it always seems better sharper, clearer, whatever.

It will be interesting to see what other have to say about how they veiw that sort of stuff.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The TV does not have the capability to zoom an HD signal. But that's not necessarily the end of the line. A sophisticated enough set-top box could make this possible.