What's new

Toshiba 36HF71 problem (1 Viewer)

RexAlan

Grip
Hello all...I have a problem that I'm hoping someone knows about. (I did a search but didn't find anything related)

I've had my Toshiba 36HF71 for about 5 months, and recently noticed a faint white line running directly down the middle of the picture. It's about 1/4 inch wide and is noticeable on all A/V inputs. It seems to appear when the set has warmed up a bit, but soemtimes I can barely see it at all...even after watching it all day!

Has anyone ever had this happen or even heard of this? I have the BestBuy extended service warranty and a tech came out today, but alas, he didn't see it and neither did I. (He probably thinks I'm crazy!) He said that he would check with Toshiba to see if this is a known issue, so at least he's still working on it.

Other than this, the set has been awesome!
Any ideas?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Take care -Rex

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hi rex, I can fill you in on this problem.
unfortunately its not a whole lot of good news, but here it is. I myself purchased a 36HFX71 and i knew about the problem of which you speak before i bought it, to me it wasent as big an issue as the cable artifcating that you get on XBR's and so on.
what you are seeing is always there, however I find it is only noticable when watching programs with a very white background with i believe the contrast and brightness settings relatively high. you shoulnd't see anythign wrong when you are watching programs that dont have excessive white. a good example is hockey or other ice sports. this was where i found it most visible, but even then i had to ahve it pointed out to me. my dealer alos told me that he himself has the same set and has contacted toshiba regarding the problem. they are aware of it but do not ahve a fix yet (so far as i know)
I know this dosent help you much, btut thats about all i know....
on another note since you have a 36HFX71 could you please take a look at this post i made regarding a problem i am having with mine... maybe you have some insight.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=82895

RexAlan

Grip
Thanks for the reply John...even though its not the news I was hoping for. I have a tech looking into this with Toshiba, but I'm sure he'll find out the same info. (maybe they'll have a fix by now)

On your other thread questiion.....I'm sorry, but I don't have any game systems attached to my TV. I really wish I could help...especially since you had info for me!

Thanks again for the info.
Anybody else?
:b

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Actually i think i may ahve the problem figured out. i popped bladrunner into my PS2 and i started noticing the same problem, but on my other dvd's this didn't happen. so i think what it may be is that games arent sending out enough signal for the tv to overscan and fill the entire image, and so since my tv is slightly off centre and there is a small geometry problem (a trapezoidal adjustment needs to be made cause the curving is inverly proportional on the other side)

basically i think the PS2 is just making the calibration of my tv more aparent in its weaknesses. but i am going to confirm this tonight with my parents dvd player, hopefully the same problem will occur with bladerunner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks