What's new

Toshiba 36HF13 (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I just got one of these for the den and have a few questions.

It says HD ready, so all I need is a separate HDTV tuner and then I can get some HD stations right?

I have standard cable right now, but I randomly get a high pitched wine coming from the speakers that I got frequently with my last television. Is there some filter that can reduce this noise?

I was wondering what kind of stands or entertainment centers do people use with large tube TVs. Right now it's sitting on a coffee table that is bowing under the 200lb+ weight of the television so I'm looking for solutions.

Thanks

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
If your cable company offers HD service you can save the hundreds of dollars that a HD STB will cost you. Can't help you with the high-pitched whine -- just avoid watching anything with Fran Drescher:). As for the stand, you must get that behemoth off the coffee table before it collapses. Many solid stands are available that can handle the 200+ lbs. I use this one:

Bestbuy has it for ~$150, and it has room for four components as well as concealed storage space.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris, get a sturdy stand immediately -- as in immediately, before another day transpires. If you're seeing bowing on a flimsy coffee table upon which you've placed a 200-pound direct-view set, you're just hours (or a day or two at best) away from utter misery. Seriously.

And to get HD signals (assuming the Toshiba survives the next few hours -- hell, I'd even put it on the floor for now), you can, yes, get a terrestrial tuner STB for a few hundred and receive OTA HD signals for free. Or you can check and see if your cable company offers HD. If so, the cable company may only provide three or four HD feeds. Meaning, if you want to see your local channels in HD you will still have to rely on OTA signals. (My local cable monopoly only offers four HD channels.)

Or you could turn to DBS.

But none of this is as important as taking the Toshiba off that flimsy coffee table. You need to do ... that ... NOW! Let it stay on the floor for a day while you shop for stands that are engineered to support all that weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks