Toshiba 36AF43 question - DVD "Squeeze Trick"?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by William K, May 3, 2004.

1. William K

William K Stunt Coordinator

I've done a search and see a number of people have had, do have or are familiar with this flat screen TV and I'm looking at buying one.

Here's my question. Does this TV have the capability to do what some call the "squeeze trick" where when watching a DVD thru component input, and the movie is of course in wide screen, it shoots in signal only to the viewed picture and not the the "black bars"?

Sony's 36 offers this, but I don't like the picture on the Sony flat screen.

Thanks for any input at all!

Bill

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My understanding is that all direct-view 4:3 Toshiba displays can do the 16:9 raster-collapse function from the user menu.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm not sure about "All" the Toshiba models but "All" the "Flat Tube" models can do it from 14" to 36"

4. William K

Well, I bought the TV yesterday and the answer is yes, it does.

I spoke with probable 8 different stores in the area who sell TVs and guess what. I got about half no's and half yesses to my question on the phone.

Glad I bought it even when I thought it didn't have that feature!!!

Bill

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My question is, When you set it to the "Movie" (I think that's one of the Toshiba Picture Settings) Mode, does it turn the Scan Velocity Modulation Circuit "OFF"?

6. William K

Hmm... good question. I don't know, yet. I'll have to try it when I get home from work.