What's new

Toshiba 36A41 - Anyone have good/bad things to say? (1 Viewer)

Jay Villero

Agent
Looking for a 36" TV, and the price (< $800) and the Consumer Reports comments (about the 36A40 actually) have me leaning towards this.
Does anyone have good or bad things to say about it?
Also, what is the cabinet color? I thought I saw it in a store about a month ago, and it was silver, but online I've seen it mentioned as either black or gray! Maybe I'm just losing my mind (which is quite possible). Thanks.
- Jay

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Well after a long search within my price range I am off to grab the 36A41 after work at BestBuy, looks to be a very good buy for the price...it has all the features that I'm looking for at the present time. Anyone have any other thoughts?
-Matt

Jay Villero

Agent
Matt -
Please do me a favor and give me a review when you've had a chance to enjoy it a bit. Like you, I've done my research and it's got the best price/features combo I can find. The Consumer Reports feature on the 36A40 (previous model) seals it for me. I'll be waiting until around Labor Day to purchase (praying for some good sales!).
Just in time for football season.
- Jay

Pete P

Auditioning
I've also been looking very hard at this set. When I looked at Sears last week, the color of the set was silver (actually sort of a silver-brown). Unfortunately they didn't have the matching stand (does anyone know where you can get one?).
BTW, Sears has this set on sale for $759.99 until 08/16.
I did find this review thread at audioreview.com (for the 36A50; not for the 36A41).
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/T...ct_67238.shtml
If you do get this set, it appears you might be the tester for us . Please post your impressions. Thanks!

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Well I did get the set last night and proceeded to spend about 3 hours putting the damn stand I bought together (!) but finally got the TV on around 11pm...the set is indeed silver which was a different color than the model on display, the set also has one set of front AV jacks which the floor model also didn't have so I suspect Best Buy still had the older model out...hooked up my older Sony DVD player (DVP-S360) via component video using Monster3 cables and the picture is very nice. Took a look at Matrix, SPR, Bring it On and colors were extremely vibrant and clear. The only pain in the ass was getting the thing out of the box, thank god my apartment is on the first floor...I'll be getting into more specific picture setup soon but I like what I've seen so far...hope this helps!
-Matt

Jay Villero

Agent
MattyP -
Your comments definitely help! Please let me know how you go about tweaking/calibrating the picture.
Also, any issues with glare/reflections? That's been a comment I've seen before about the whole Toshiba A41 non-flat series. Thanks again and enjoy the new TV!
- Jay

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
As far as glare issues go, the screen does have a larger than normal outward curve but if you take some time to position your lighting (or just watch movies with nothing on) I have found no bothersome glare problems with it...
-Matt
------------------
"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake

Richard Watt

Agent
I don't want to be a bother, but would it be possible to post pictures of your setup or just the tv? Is this curve of the glass that much? I am gettin a new tv, but I was going to go with a high-end 27". But the 36" Toshiba looks promising for the price. Thanks for the thread.
------------------
27" Mistsubishi
Yamaha RX-V995
Sony DVP-S7700
DCM 10" Stand Speakers
Vampire Wire/Monster Cable Interconnects

Jay Villero

Agent
Matt P -
How about an update on the 36A41. I think I'm going to get it this weekend...just in time for football season.
- Jay

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, it's been great since day 1, grabbed Hannibal and SOTL last week and the former looks amazing on it (great video reference disc). I am looking to grab a copy of Avia to calibrate with, just haven't gotten around to it 'cause I am so damn busy but I love the set! I would post pics but do not have the technology, sorry!
-Matt
p.s. all the MNF and Red Sox games look excellent!

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 36A40. Had it for about a year now. It's great! I've got some pictures (with lights on) if you want to check it out:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28871.html
Click on the link on the bottom when you get there.
Since these pictures were taken, I've put up a torchier lamp up in the right rear corner of my room BEHIND the TV. It looks absolutely fine that way. I've calibrated the set using the my VE disc and have no complaints.
Hope this helps someone...
-Jonathan
------------------
"We're hosed. We lost the remote."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks