Toshiba 36" HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Denis Q, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Denis Q

Denis Q Auditioning

I just saw in my local Costco a Toshiba 36" HDTV (model 36HF12) for $1500. I looked for information on this set and can't find any. Does anyone know about this set? Is it the same as the 36HF71? At around $400 - $500 less than the Sony Wega 36" XBR, this seems like a pretty good deal to me. Thanks.

DQ

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    This set may be equal to the 36hf72 which would be even better. Usually the last number in the model represent's the year 72=2002, 71=2001, etc... But don't quote me on that.
    Take a look at it again, then go to best buy and look at the 72, if they look similar it is a new model as the look changed from last year.
    Either way, it's a great set and that's a great price.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I second Jeff on that, definitely a better tv for the money than the XBR

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Now I didn't say it was better than the XBR... It is more affordable, but does lack the DVI, so this is a decision you have to make on your own as to wether it's worth the extra money for the XBR or not. The toshiba has an excellent picture and based on picture alone, I would personally say it's not worth the extra $500 for the XBR, but for the additional features the XBR offers such as the DVI, it makes it a tough decission. Personally if I had the money I would get the XBR, especially if I was planning to keep this set as my primary one for at least 7 years. If not, then the DVI thing probably wouldn't even be an issue.

5. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

I believe Toshiba creates model numbers for Costco that cannot be found anywhere else, so as to lessen competitive pressures for their other authorized sales stores. These may either be identical to existing Toshiba units or have slightly different features. I saw a post somewhere recently where somone reported that they verified this with Toshiba.

I recently bought an analog 36" TV from Costco, a 36A12. I could not find that model anywhere else either, though it appears to be a 36A41 with PIP added.

I'm very happy with it.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I said better for the money Jeff [​IMG]

7. Gus Smith

Gus Smith Extra

I noticed this TV at my local Costco also. Does anyone know if it is the hf71 or hf72?

Any info would be appreciated.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Gus,
    I need to see the picture to tell you. Go to toshiba's site or a local best buy and look at a few pics of the new model, if they look identical then it's the new model, if not then it's probably the 2001 model.

9. Gus Smith

Gus Smith Extra

It appears from comparing the buttons on the front panel that the TV is an 36HF71.

Now, does anyone know the differences between the 71 and 72. Is the 72 worth an extra $300 (Price at Best Buy)?

Thanks.
    Gus.