TOSHIBA 34HDX82 vs. 34HFX84???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sebastien S, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

I bought the Toshiba 34HDX82 about two years ago. Everything was great and I loved the TV!

This past month, the picture tube "sparked" resulting in a bunch of horizontal lines in my screen...

The repair people came and had a look at it, they could do nothing to repair it, the tube was gone!

Fortunately, I have a five year warranty and Toshiba is now replacing my TV with this years model... The 34HFX84.

At first look, this HDTV is about $1000.00 CDN cheaper than the 34HDX82, and I'm not sure but it seems to have less options on it... Could I be wrong?

One thing is for sure, my 34HDX82 had 1 "DVI" input. This year's model (34HFX84) doesn't seem to have any!?! It does however have 2 "HDMI" Inputs... What are those?

2. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

I guess I am the only one here with a Toshiba HDTV of this size...

I can't even seem to find a review on the net for the 34HFX84???

"Cnet.com" doesn't have one... They do have the reviews on all the latest "SONY" models though... Wonder who's lining their pockets?

3. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Sebastien, what Toshiba is doing is pretty reasonable since you are getting there latest and best model television. The 34HFX84 is cheaper since like all technology HDTV has gotten cheaper, especially cutting edge electronics. At the same time it will most likely outperform the 34HDX82 in terms of picture quality. The manual for the 34HFX84 can be downloaded here. HDMI can be read about in this post. In short HDMI is an improved DVI connector that adds audio and control signals while being backward compatible with DVI.

4. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

Thanks.

I'm trying to find on-line reviews of this HDTV writen by anyone other than Toshiba, but I'm not having much luck...

That or other people who own it and would be willing to share their oppinion of it with me...

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

DUde, how good is the PQ on 34HFX84? I have been considering a 30" to 34" tube. Is it a good value?

6. Richard Paul

The 34HFX84 is just being released and it will take at least one or two months before any real reviews start coming out for it. If I had to guess the only 34" television that could outperform it would be the recently released KD34XBR960 and last years KV34XBR910. Both of these televisions are Sony's top of the line models which are considered to be the best direct view HDTVs made for consumers. They also cost at least $600 dollars more than Toshiba's.

7. nathan_k

nathan_k Auditioning

I was considering getting the 34hf84, anyone know what the major differences there are between that and the x model seems like picture in picture and some audio stuff.

8. Richard Paul

The 34HFX84 is in Toshiba's Cinema series line of televisions and can't be bought over the internet. The Cinema series is Toshiba's "high end" line of televisions and includes more features and a different look. The main differences between the 34HFX84 and the 34HF84 is a better looking design, 2 HDMI inputs instead of one, better speakers, more picture control options, and a $200 price difference. Personally I would be interested in the 34HFX84 if it wasn't for the small fact that they don't sell them in Alabama. I may be interested in the 34HFX84 but an 8 hour drive is a bit of a deal killer for me. Of course for those living closer to a cinema series dealer, which you can find out here, it may be worth a look.

9. nathan_k

nathan_k Auditioning

ah, thanks for the info, I was also looking at the 46HX84 projection tv toshiba has. It's around the same price as the direct view but i'm not so sure about the quality of projection tv's

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You got a very good deal here.

What bothers me is why your first Toshiba failed. Did the repair person have anything to say about that? That's a pretty expensive set to have a deep-sixed so early. Not encouraging.

Power supply go bad?

11. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

The tube apparently "sparked"... I did not see or hear the exact moment when it happened but I know that one night I noticed these horizontal lines accross the screen, they were most apparent on a dark background...

Also, when turning on the TV, the image would become distorted for a few seconds with a sort of rainbow (all sorts of colors) effect... Kind of like when you "Degause" a computer screen. This would only happen for a few seconds when you opened the TV...

After a few days, the horizontal lines seem to fade away a little but they were still there, just a little harder to see. I have had this TV since February 2003.

I did not ask what causes a screen/tube to spark in this matter? At first, the repair person seemed confident that this problem could be fixed by opening up the set and lowering the brightness of the tube itself, he claimed that this kind of thing would happen to TV's from time to time... He tried that but when he lowered the TV's brightness from the inside, it screwed up the colors, so he put it back the way it was.

At this point, he informed Toshiba of this and that is when they decided that they would replace the set completely with this year's model.

Right now I am wondering two things...

How does a tube spark like this and why? Was I the cause of it? I must admit that my set sees a lot of play time... In other words, it is open almost all the time. Approximately 21 to 22 hours a day. Could this be the cause of it dying so young? Then again, I have heard people say that the worse thing is opening and closing the TV too many times?

Also, when I bought this set... I bought a five year warranty with it (boy am I glad I did that)! However, now that I am getting a new set, is my warranty still good? I paid to be covered until February 2008... I don't feel or have the money to buy another extended warranty?

12. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guy`s,
    FYI:
    Crutchfield is now selling the 34HFX84 (at least taking orders -- 9/15-- expected date) Here`s a link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-U7OtiQe...&avf=N&search=

Now !!
    I need to know , are Toshiba`s a good TV ? Please kep in mind that I have never owned one and there are no dealers that sell the "HFX" series in my area.
    I have been looking for a realy good 16 X 9 that would fit where a Sony XBR 32" fits , the HFX will fit , but the new XBR960 won`t [​IMG]
    Sebastien,
    Would you please tell me a little about Toshiba TV`s
    I would realy be greatful it you could include such things as "color acuracy" --"geometry" -- how do they sound and overall build quality.
    My guess would be that your old set had a bad "high voltage powersupply" or it could be a premature tube failure , glad to see there standing by it and getting you a new one.
    BTW- The "34HFX" has been on a "short list" of replacments . but like your self I need more info , even info on older sets would be helpful. Many thanks [​IMG]
    Gary

13. Gary SI

Hi Seb,
    "21 to 22 hours a day" !!! [​IMG]
    Sounds about right to me [​IMG]
    After all a TV is (at least for me) a "window to the world".
    Don`t get me wrong , I get out too [​IMG]
    Just think , less than 2 weeks away from the big day !!!
    The release of "Star Wars" on DVD D:

14. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

LOL! Thanks, I myself get out on occasions but not often... I suffer from Muscular Dystrophy and am on a ventilator. So, let's just say that the TV is a big part of my life... And DVD's of course (I have had "star Wars" widescreen edition pre-ordered since last February)!

As for my old (not so old) 34HDX82 TV, I thought it was great until the tube sparked... This all started back in October of 2002. I was building my home theater system and I had chosen, gone with the 34" Panasonic. I did so on a "blind buy" just because I thought that Panasonic made great TV's (my previous panasonic non-HDTV was great). This turned out to be a nightmare as the 34" Panasonic of 2002 had major problems! A huge vertical purple line down the middle on component inputs when watching DVD's and a white line at the same place when watching through A/V inputs. Panasonic replaced the set twice but it had the same problem... Eventually I raised hell and got a refund!

Then, having learned my lesson... I actually went out to a new store and went to see for myself both of Panasonic's competitors at the time in the 34" market. I really only had two choices, the Toshiba 34HDX82 or the SONY WEGA (I forget the number).

Right off the bat I could tell that both had a major improvment in picture quality over the Panasonic! Many people will dissagree with me here but I thought the Toshiba looked better than the SONY... The SONY's color were more vibrant but less realistic and detail of the image wasn't as high. The Toshiba's colors were more flat but detail was higher and I thought it looked better over all. The SONY was also about $500.00 CDN more expensive as well.

Note that this may have to do with how both TV's were calibrated at the store?

I chose and bought the Toshiba. When I first got it, the colors pushed red a little and needed some tweeking. I calibrated the set myself (using the Avia DVD) for sattelite TV, DVD and my Playstation 2 and the colors came out beautiful! The set looked great and I had no problems with it. If I was able to do it myself, anyone can.

The set did have some "geometry issues"... Staight lines would sometimes appear curved when they would approach the far left of the screen. I always intended on getting it calibrated by an ISF calibrator eventually but I never got around to it.

I can't tell you much about the sound... Mine is hooked up to a Denon receiver and the sound would come form my 5.1 Energy speakers.

I personnaly liked the menu and found it easy to navigate. One of my favorite things about the set was that it had "independent input memory", this means I could have each input calibrated to a different setting and it would remember that setting. That prevented me from changing the settings each time I changed inputs (TV to DVD to Playstation 2 ect...). The set also looked very decent with non-HDTV programming.

15. Gary SI

Hi Seb,
    Thanks for the great review [​IMG]
    I have been looking at this years Panasonic ,but they just don`t seem to hit the mark , so to speak.
    And the new XBR960 , is a fine set , but waayyy big and heavy.
    The new HFX 34" Toshiba is about the same weight and size as my `ol Sony.
    I`m sorry to hear about your illness , thats a "b" , I wish you all the best.
    And I`ev been really counting down the days to Sept 21 ever since I heard the news [​IMG]
    I have had it counting down on my "home page" since they announced it. !!! From what I hear it`s going to be very... good [​IMG]
    I wonder how long the `ol TV will be on after that [​IMG]
    Take care ,
    Gary [​IMG]

16. Richard Paul

Thanks for the link Gary. I had previously read that Toshiba's cinema series was for retail sale only. That and the fact that onecall had it listed for retail only seemed to indicate that it would only be availiable to aurthorized retail stores. There are two possiblities with one being that since Crutchfield is an authorized online seller Toshiba might have decided to change the rules and let them sell it online. Or it might be that Crutchfield is supposed to only be selling it retail and forgot. It will be interesting to see if Toshiba has changed their retail policy for the cinema series or if this is accidental.

17. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

anyone know if there is a difference between the 34HF84 and the 34HFx84 picture wise?

I know the cinema series is bound have more features, better look/design but all I care about is PQ.

18. louHamilton

louHamilton Extra

I've have had the 34HFX84 for about two weeks now (via online ordering at Electronic Express.com). Unfortunately, I am not as satisfied with the picture as I was hoping. The picture seems very unnatural. Shadowing looks like a topographic map. Some programs are more so than others (Especially while watching satellite programs via Dish Network). I am looking into getting a calibration DVD today to see if that helps (SVM is already turned off). I am going to try the Video Essentials one first and see if that helps. I have e-mailed Toshiba Customer Care and they said to call the toll-free number. Haven't had a chance to call them during "in-hours" yet.

Hope I didn't just waste $1400 dollars.

-Lou