What's new

Toshiba 32HF72 or Sony KV-32HV600? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I am considering these two sets and wondered which would be the better set to buy. Sure the Toshiba if a few hundred cheaper but I'm not quite sure which will be the better buy. I don't know too much about the Toshiba yet. I thought it was suposed to have DVI, but I can't find any mention of DVI on the specs. So anyway I was looking for the better picture with all sources, DVD, HD, and sat tv, the most important being DVD and HD.

It would be nice to save the extra money with the toshiba if all is equal but I wanted a few opinions on which set would be best. Will the DVI thing be that important?

edit:
I was just looking through the toshiba site and found the 32HFX72 also, now what does the HFX have that the HF doesn't?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Im not sure what the difference is betweent he HFX and the HF, but i woudl take the Toshiba over the Sony, I personally love my 36HFX71. but to be perfectly honest you might want to consider the sony for DVI, I dont have DVI and i dont regret it.... but if i had been able to get a 36" sony or panasonic with DVI for a similar price to the toshiba i would have. I personally think the XBR is better than the HFX on your dvd source, but the toshiba is better on cable and sattilite. and when it comes right down to it the sony to me wasent even worth an extra 100 dollars. the difference in dvd signal is unnoticable (to me at least) unless the two sets are side by side and you are being very critical. (and either of these sets were calibrated) but on cable the sony artifacting was very noticable IMHO.
If cost is in anyway a concern definitely take the toshiba. if money is no issue then go buy a 40" XBR :D
good luck

Harvey S

Grip
The HFX series is the 'cinema series'. It seems to be the same set with a pumped up audio system. (I wish they'd make a version of these sets with NO audio system for those of us who use an AV receiver instead)

The cinema series are about $100 more expensive and a whole lot harder to find because there aren't as many dealers. The only reason I'd get one would be if it had the DVI input and the HF model didn't but as far as I can tell neither does. However it is hard to say for sure because the Toshiba web site doesn't say anything about DVI or upgradeability and I'm not sure whether it is up to date concerning the new models that are startiung to come out.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Does the toshiba have autosqueeze? Can you turn it off and on at any point with any source? I know the sony has auto but I heard something about you can't turn it off and on at will.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
the squeeze is controlled on the HFX series by a button on the remote. very simple and convient. (I perfer thsi to auto because i ahve ehard of some DVD's and such being misflagged, and i can see this happening alot more with HD comming through cable and sattilite)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
So how is the Toshiba at holding good black levels compared to the sony? I know sony's tend to hold blacks very well. I have never had a toshiba so I don't know too much about them. Also, how easy is it to tweek the service menu on the toshiba?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks