Toshiba 32HF72 Compression Issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Balmer, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

Hi all,
    Well I decided to get the Toshiba 32HF72 and am having an issue maybe someone can enlighten me on. When going into compressed mode everything looks to be pushed up as to cause a notch in the letterbox for the first three inches on the right of the screen. Everything else looks pretty straight all the way across. Is this a geometry issue? I don't notice it in letterbox mode nor in full. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I don't really understand what you are saying.
    Compression is the squeeze correct? It should look just like letterbox 4x3 when you squeeze an anamorphic disc while your dvd player is set to output 16x9.

What do you mean by "notch"?

3. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

Well it looks like someone pushed the right hand three inches of the screen up a little. It seems to only be noticeable with 1:85:1 transfers. It only looks like it's the bars though(top and bottom). Other information in the picture itself looks to be straight.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Still not understanding... do you have a screen shot? so the picture itself is OK? sounds strange. Maybe you should check out the TV at a store that would hook up a DVD player for you and see if it does the same thing.

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

From what you describe, it does sound like a geometry problem. You can adjust geometry on the set yourself, but you need to know some basics about entering service mode.

Try the Keohi site for information on how to do that and how to adjust the geometry.

Good luck,

Jan

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I would add to Jan's comments that you should also pick up Avia and use the geometry patterns to see what the problem is exactly. Using Avia, you can check the geometry in 4:3, 4:3 letterbox and I believe Avia has a set of patterns for widescreen sets. You can use these when in the squeeze/compression mode. Geometry on flat tube direct view sets can be a crapshoot. As far as entering the service mode, if you do this, just be very careful and make sure to write down all original settings before changing anything. I'm not sure what the code is for the service menu on the 32HF72 but I do know it is not the same as the one used on recent analog sets such as the 27A42 and 20Af41. I tried it in Best Buy [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

YES YES YES I have also noticed this problem on my 36HFX71

I just havent had time yet to investigate the problem. plus i dont really notice it all that much. let me know if you find a good resolution to this problem.

8. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

I have adjusted my television using Video Essentials. The problem appears to be the raster is squeezed to a different location on the right hand side of the TV. The black portion is 'bumped' up one line of pixels. But all exposed information in that part of the screen looks correct. Does anyone know what parameters in the service menu control this?

9. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Oops, my mistake. Never mind.

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If only the black part is incorrect, you shouldn't be able to see it if you are properly calibrated. The black dead space and the black bars on a 2.35:1 movie should blend seamlessly so you shouldn't notice anything. Or am I still missunderstanding what's going on?

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

No its the whole picture is shifted up a little bit. at least thats what i see on my tv.

12. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

I looked at another HF72 today and it did not have the same issue. I think I am going to exchange the set. John are you using a progressive or interlaced DVD player?

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Interlaced right now, i dont recall if it was present on a progressive player.

14. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

John, I have mine hooked up to an interlaced player(don't have a progressive player yet). The one I checked in the store was hooked up to a progressive player. I am wondering if this could be the issue. John could you try it with a progressive player and let me know the results?

15. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Sorry no can do, i only had it hooked up once when i borrowed my friends RP-91

16. Jon Balmer

Jon Balmer Auditioning

I went ahead and bought a progressive scan player(Tosh SD3800...WOW. The clarity is incredible. This also fixed the issue with the uneven lines. But I now seem to notice more geometry issues. Was just watching the new One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and it seemed every edge of every wall or window looked somewhat curved. Maybe it's just this transfer.

17. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jon, the best objective way to determine your geometry issues is to bring up some geometry test patterns using Avia or Video Essentials. Beware though, no tv is perfect - so once you start looking for problems, it can become an obsession [​IMG]
    --tom