Toshiba 32AFX61 or Sony KV32FV27?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Diana M, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Diana M

Diana M Agent

I'm having trouble deciding between these 2 sets

I like the sound of the Toshiba (it has the new cyclone bass and 33 total watts of power), and I don't plan on hooking up speakers any time soon, as this is not our main set

I like the darker cabinet of the Sony and the ability of the set to do 16:9 auto, and we watch a lot of dvds

I have not viewed the sets side by side long enough to determine picture quality, they both seem to have a nice picture, with the Sony having the edge on a little more info on the sides

Price is not an issue as they are only $100 apart

Any input on either set would be very helpfull

Thanks

Diana

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You need the 16:9 mode, so that pretty much answers the question, in my view. The Toshiba, though, has more accurate color out of the box. My WEGA, even in the "Warm" color-temp setting, is a bit too blue-tinted (i.e., hot) to be truly accurate.

3. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have both of these tv's (although in different sizes, Sony 27 in., Toshiba 36 in.). There is absolutely no comparison, the Toshiba simply blows the Sony away. I hear alot of rhetoric about the Sony 16:9, which is semi-valid. All other things aside, however, the Toshiba outperforms the Sony in every detail. Mush better and easier to dial in picture, FAR superior sound system, many more inputs. I already had my Sony when I went shopping for my 36in. and now (having had them both home for comparison)I am very glad I chose the Toshiba.

4. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I am on my second 32fv27. Bad geometry on both but second not nearly as bad.

Would not buy another Sony and my next TV will probably be RPTV.

I think all direct view flat screens have inherent problems as I once saw a JVC 802 with geometry so bad they had to remove it from the show room.

Sometimes you can manually get other makes of Tv's to squeeze.