Toshiba 32A60 & White Burn in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Apr 8, 2002.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

About a year ago (have two weeks left on warenty) I purchased a Toshiba 32A60

I have had a bit of trouble with this set since day one and have had to have service out to adjust the picture square.

Now I get what I will call 'White Burn In'.

On some DVD's that have a bright white in the screen (such as the menus in 'Monlin Rouge' and the whole B&W movie 'Citizen Kane') the white starts turning yellow and then if other colors are being displayed in the same area of the screen, the colors are 'OFF COLOR' (blue becomes green)

Now the service tech tells me that this is normal for a 32" and larger direct view sets and is called 'MASK HEATING'.

Well last night I was watching my local 'FOX' channel and I notied when I changed channels the 'FOX' logo was sort of burned into the screen... the longer that I kept the set tuned to this other stating the 'FOX' logo faded away.

But is this normal?

Or do others feel as I do that their is something wrong with the 'Picture Tube'

I have tried to adjust the user colors, brightness, and contrast... using both 'Video Essentials' and the 'THX' set up menus found on many FOX DVD's.

--David

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

That does sound like mask heating. Definitely turn the contrast down! If the set is properly adjusted this shouldn't happen. Excess mask heating can damage the CRT, plus that amount of energy will kill the phosphors on short order.

If it still happens even with the contrast down below 25%, then you may have a defective CRT.

KJP

3. DavidEC

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

At what contrast level does the picture look good, and at what level does the discoloration start to appear? You should keep the level below the point of mask heating.

KJP

5. DavidEC

Kevin -

It seems as if the mask heat up will happen even if I have the brightness and contrast turned down to as low as 15%

And at this point the picture is so dark that it is unwatchable.

--David