What's new

Toshiba 3109 + Denon 1803 = Display & Sound Freezes (1 Viewer)

DaveYH

Auditioning
I'm having problems with what I hope is my DVD player. When playing back some DTS disks my DVD player will freeze, the sound and the picture, sometimes I can skip to the next track and it will be fine. When I mean freeze it will either start skipping around on audio and video, the image on the screen is scrambled, or will just pause altogether with a scrambled image. It doesn't do this all the time and doesn't do it at all when using DD sound. My Denon 1803 is connected to my Toshiba 3109 with an optical cable. I also have a newer, cheaper Samsung DVD player that this will sometimes happen to via the same connection.

My last receiver wasn't DTS compatible so I never really had a problem unless the DVD itself was actually bad, and I could only do DD. The DVD that had the problem yesterday was Spy Game, brand new, just unwrapped. I've also had problems with Gladiator. Sometimes I can switch to the other DVD player and things work fine. Yesterday Spy Game crapped out right at the DTS intro on Spy Game, but on the Samsung it played the whole movie fine. I would hope it's just my player. Would switching to a different cable, coax or new optical, help any or what might the problem be? Has anyone else encountered this? My searches didn't turn up much on this forum.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Dave

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The receiver doesn't have anything to do with it, nor does the connection from the DVD player to the receiver (i.e., coax v. optical). You already seem to have isolated the problem, and it seems to be the aging Toshiba 3109.

DaveYH

Auditioning
Yeah, it just bothered me that it happened on my other player too with Gladiator. I've been holding off on a new DVD player purchase, until I purchase a new TV, but I may have to make that purchase sooner I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks